E scooters.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And that shows why they should be registered, the gantry shows a average speed check of 30mph. He is breaking the law but how can you prove it.

I am a believer in these e scooters but our infrastructure and laws are not set up for them. Exactly the same with cycle lanes.

as always its how they are used, people like the guy in the picture least are using them in the road with helmets on to protect themselves and not riding like an idiot

they are a great form of transport in cities and for small distances ..

not for me personally id crash the thing .. but I can see the appeal

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
E Scooters agree. Register them and insure them

However bikes no. Bikes are suppose to be the cheapest form (bar walking) of transport

Second hand bike and your away. £50 maybe

Opens up a world of opportunity

Kids can use them etc

No level of paper work as a barrier

I won’t take this thread off topic re the bike registrations as that was done a few months back.

But the e-scoots really jars me as in the current living crisis and climate crisis these would be so practical for many yet are deemed illegal due to the miss use.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
they are a great form of transport in cities and for small distances ..

not for me personally id crash the thing .. but I can see the appeal

Many living local to stations originally used the to zap down to the station in the morning, train into the city and then zip on to the office. It was everything a city center looking to reduce road traffic needed.

It also helped that they took up half the space of a fold up bike or full size bike in busy carriages at rush hour times

Mandofred

Visit site
I like the idea of them, I haven't seen anybody misusing them but I don't go into town that much. I get passed by a couple of people on the old rail line (now a cycle track) from Ripley to Starbeck that use them to commute, they work great for that. No sweat from pedaling. I used to ride my bike to work a lot.....I'd arrive a sweaty mess.....but then again I used it as a workout so fair enough.

Registering bikes I just can't see. Put big license plates on them? Any serious rider is trying to cut down on air resistance, not increase it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I won’t take this thread off topic re the bike registrations as that was done a few months back.

But the e-scoots really jars me as in the current living crisis and climate crisis these would be so practical for many yet are deemed illegal due to the miss use.

agreed they would be fantastic options , I mean how many people could use them ? be fantastic , lower emissions , cheap way for people to get about say £500 for a scooter and thats it .. much cheaper than a car or motorbike

although they have been banned on the tube due to one catching on fire , because thats a shame they arent safer in that respect because imagine scooting to the station , fold up, tube to central london then off to work

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many living local to stations originally used the to zap down to the station in the morning, train into the city and then zip on to the office. It was everything a city center looking to reduce road traffic needed.

It also helped that they took up half the space of a fold up bike or full size bike in busy carriages at rush hour times

was brilliant but the safety of them with regard to fires was brought into question

shame

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s like every modern invention .
The idiots that misuse them spoil it for those that would find them very useful.
They are a great idea if used properly.
Like the car/ bike debate ,we need to upgrade our road network big time.
All the tax motorists have paid isn’t used on the roads ,if it was they should be like billiard tables .
Make roads safer for us all to use.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s like every modern invention .
The idiots that misuse them spoil it for those that would find them very useful.
They are a great idea if used properly.
Like the car/ bike debate ,we need to upgrade our road network big time.
All the tax motorists have paid isn’t used on the roads ,if it was they should be like billiard tables .
Make roads safer for us all to use.

can not disagree with a single word of that.

idiots ruin everything

we had a bike rack at the station with a pump built into the ground, great simple idea. all the local kids used it for their bikes aswell. promoted cycling .. after a year what happens? some idiot thinks their hilarious and cuts the pump tube off. brilliant thanks