E scooters.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In London for the weekend and it is a nightmare with bikes and scooters. Walked along the south bank last night and nearly got taken out on countless occasions, was just as bad on the embankment when there was a perfectly good (empty) cycle path right next to the pavement but loads still insisted in riding on the pavement ?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are ridden far too fast on pavements and have caused a lot of accidents in Southampton, both the trial ones and the 'illegal' ones. I had one nearly go under my coach after she rode it straight off the pavement onto the road without looking, while wearing headphones. Luckily I'd realised what was about to happen and managed to slow down instead of swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid her. She was so shocked by the blast of horn that she hit the kerb and fell off. I laughed. They're illegal on public roads for a good reason and should stay that way.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are ridden far too fast on pavements and have caused a lot of accidents in Southampton, both the trial ones and the 'illegal' ones. I had one nearly go under my coach after she rode it straight off the pavement onto the road without looking, while wearing headphones. Luckily I'd realised what was about to happen and managed to slow down instead of swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid her. She was so shocked by the blast of horn that she hit the kerb and fell off. I laughed. They're illegal on public roads for a good reason and should stay that way.

Would not the same situation happen with the same idiot if she was on a bike? Plenty of bike idiots , even more since lockdown .. all using the pavement rather than the road as they lockdown bikers

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would not the same situation happen with the same idiot if she was on a bike? Plenty of bike idiots , even more since lockdown .. all using the pavement rather than the road as they lockdown bikers
Not from I've seen. Bikes are bigger, easier to see and a bit more predictable, and the ones who do ride on the pavement tend to go a bit slower. These scooters are a just a menace.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Idiots are idiots regardless of mode of transport
I don't disagree with those sentiments, but in the 2 examples given 1 is of a pair of idiots in a residential area with minimal traffic flow obviously out playing or trying to be "ard"
The other example is a pair of idiots in the main traffic flow in dark clothing, no high vis of any kind and no head protection.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't disagree with those sentiments, but in the 2 examples given 1 is of a pair of idiots in a residential area with minimal traffic flow obviously out playing or trying to be "ard"
The other example is a pair of idiots in the main traffic flow in dark clothing, no high vis of any kind and no head protection.

To be fair it was the only pic I could find

I've had cyclists (kids) wheelie straight towards me whilst driving down the busy road

Regularly see the picture of the one on the back on bikes ..

Like I said regardless of transport people are still idiots

Maybe min age for use aswell

70% of kids on bikes don't use helmets when you see them it isn't "cool"

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a go on one of these in the grounds of my work.
I came off the thing with my heart banging with adrenaline and I was only in 2nd gear.
God only knows what speed people get up to on these but I agree, most likely a death trap and the country isnt set up for them.

The owner has come into work with a black eye and other injuries. Hes only had it about 5 weeks.

It's a no for me.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry. I'd better rephrase that before the pedants pick me up on it :rolleyes:

Looking in my door mirror, I could see them approaching ....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Never seen one until we went to Saville 2 years ago, they were everywhere and were used by everyone it would seem, from businessmen to families. Didn't see any bad behaviour on them, but then Europeans are very different. My wife and I used them A few times , very handy , there was an app and you just got on one tapped and off you went and left it where you finished.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was say in Bold Street in Liverpool last week and watched the bicycle delivery riders going up and down there at some fair sort of speed. Neither these are e scooter riders are insured, and not legally obliged to be so. IMHO ANY road user should have passed some form of test, have the vehicle register, and be legally obliged to have insurance. At the moment they can carry on regardless and think they can go where they like at whatever sort they like.
I know that there will always be those who flout the laws, but if they're caught doing so, throw the book at them.