E Bay - a warning

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Having recently retired as a photographer I sold 3 lenses & 2 camera bodies on E Bay. I used E Bay Packlink (a.k.a. My Herpes) to send the items. I dropped the parcels off at my local shop last Sunday & they were collected by the courier on Monday. All the items have been delivered, the three boxes containing the lenses arrived empty. One was opened in front of the staff of Sainsbury's, where it had been sent for collection so there's no question of anyone trying it on.

It is obvious that the items have been stolen by Hermes. The thief has been clever. He, or she, has stolen three items from the same seller, casting doubt on whether the parcels were empty when deposited. Also, the lenses were relatively light so the fact that they weren't in the boxes wasn't too obvious.

The moral is, don't send multiple items at the same time. You may say, also, don't use Hermes, but other carriers lose stuff too & at least, this way, the problem is 100% for E Bay to solve.

Speaking to E Bay, the procedure to follow is:
1 - buyer reports matter to police
2 - buyer claims a refund from me
3 - I refuse refund
4 - after 8 days buyer escalates the matter with E Bay, who, only then, start an investigation. I asked E Bay why they couldn't go straight to the investigation & the reply was that there's no means of doing this - unbelievable.

Watch this space. I don't expect to lose any money & I'm sure the buyers will be refunded. I think E Bay will just absorb the loss. I was on the other end of a similar situation a while ago. Got my money back but I'm sure the buyer wasn't made to refund. I suppose E Bay is so profitable it doesn't matter.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, it was delivered to Sainsbury's & I can take his word for it in view of the fact that the same thing has happened in Sheffield & Peterbrough. Would have to be a big conspiracy if it was the buyers.
I know that a few people in my area have been arrested for this scam (the buyer's) seems to be a common scam to simply say the box was empty

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Is there still a market for film cameras?
They still sell mechanical watches, but I don't know anybody who's bought a non-electronic camera lately.

I've got my late uncle's Leica and Hasselblad somewhere in storage.
Never used them because one was a big film format, and the other, while a 35mm, was a rangefinder, not an SLR as I was accustomed to.
I didn't know how to use them properly, but I'm told that they're excellent cameras.
Doubt if anybody would want them anymore.

U

User62651

Had a similar one last week for a small item, eBay buyer said packet arrived empty, was only low value so I refunded. I checked her feedback which was good but I did wonder if it was a con as seemed an unlikely thing to rob. Wrote it off. Annoying.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
An update. E Bay & Packlink, agents for Hermes, have been absolutely useless. E Bay insisted on treating each case as "Customer wants to return item" wouldn't take any action for 8 days, at which point the buyers were able to raise a dispute. Packlink sent me a form to be signed by the buyers confirming they'd asked neighbours & members of their family whether they had received the item - totally inappropriate & nobody signed.

I made a claim, via Packlink, for each item & eventually received notification that the cases had been sent to their insurers. I had no assistance from E Bay with regard to making the claims, I had to find out, almost by accident, how to do it. I have refunded the buyers because I felt it was the right thing to do so I'm now £200+ out of pocket until the insurers cough up, which can take 90 days, without a Coronavirus crisis!

To make matters worse, I spent the proceeds on a Scotty Cameron putter, which I can currently only use at home.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
An update. E Bay & Packlink, agents for Hermes, have been absolutely useless. E Bay insisted on treating each case as "Customer wants to return item" wouldn't take any action for 8 days, at which point the buyers were able to raise a dispute. Packlink sent me a form to be signed by the buyers confirming they'd asked neighbours & members of their family whether they had received the item - totally inappropriate & nobody signed.

I made a claim, via Packlink, for each item & eventually received notification that the cases had been sent to their insurers. I had no assistance from E Bay with regard to making the claims, I had to find out, almost by accident, how to do it. I have refunded the buyers because I felt it was the right thing to do so I'm now £200+ out of pocket until the insurers cough up, which can take 90 days, without a Coronavirus crisis!

To make matters worse, I spent the proceeds on a Scotty Cameron putter, which I can currently only use at home.
The biggest shock in all of this is the last sentence :eek:. Have you finally run out of patience with the Cure or is the Scotty there to threaten it?

Bad experience all round.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The biggest shock in all of this is the last sentence :eek:. Have you finally run out of patience with the Cure or is the Scotty there to threaten it?

Bad experience all round.
The Cure went a bit cold, I'm afraid. I bought the Scotty with the intention of adding weight to it & replaced the two 10 gram weights with ones of 25 grams. Only got to use it for three rounds but I've holed some cracking putts with it, really like it, which is fortunate since its the most expensive putter I've ever bought.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

People who use Hermes only have themselves to blame. Use a reputable company and it saves any issues.

You can opt out of using Packlink.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there still a market for film cameras?
They still sell mechanical watches, but I don't know anybody who's bought a non-electronic camera lately.

I've got my late uncle's Leica and Hasselblad somewhere in storage.
Never used them because one was a big film format, and the other, while a 35mm, was a rangefinder, not an SLR as I was accustomed to.
I didn't know how to use them properly, but I'm told that they're excellent cameras.
Doubt if anybody would want them anymore.

Absolutely there is still a market for film cameras, both of those would probably get a lot of interest.

The simplest way to put a value on them is to go on ebay and search for the same under sold items in advanced settings. I sold my Pentax SLRs with quite a few bidders and was more than happy with the price I got.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Absolutely there is still a market for film cameras, both of those would probably get a lot of interest.

The simplest way to put a value on them is to go on ebay and search for the same under sold items in advanced settings. I sold my Pentax SLRs with quite a few bidders and was more than happy with the price I got.

Hey, you! Get offa my thread. If you want to discuss film cameras start a new thread. Bet Crow still has one with bellows & a black cape. ?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Speaking of which, a while ago I repurchased all the cameras I have used in my life. The box Brownie when I was about 8, the Agfa Isolette & Super Silette when I was at school & the Minolta XG, right up to the time I took up professional, digital photography.. The Super Silette & box Brownie still work but I haven't been tempted to put film in & try them out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_134548.jpg
    IMG_20200327_134548.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 4

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
3 of my latest interactions with my Herpes
1) 6 plates, each double wrapped in bubble wrap, inside a sturdy box, placed inside another sturdy box, with polystyrene between the boxes. Only 2 plates arrived intact.
2) My eBay purchasers address is slightly wrong in eBay. Hermes cant deliver and the tracking information says they want more information. BUT their useless website does not allow the address to be altered!!
3) I have sent another parcel which has been sitting in a Hermes warehouse since the end of Feb. No way to contact Hermes to find out what the hell is going on.
No wonder you cant speak to a human there, they would get so much abuse, all day long

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
3 of my latest interactions with my Herpes
1) 6 plates, each double wrapped in bubble wrap, inside a sturdy box, placed inside another sturdy box, with polystyrene between the boxes. Only 2 plates arrived intact.
2) My eBay purchasers address is slightly wrong in eBay. Hermes cant deliver and the tracking information says they want more information. BUT their useless website does not allow the address to be altered!!
3) I have sent another parcel which has been sitting in a Hermes warehouse since the end of Feb. No way to contact Hermes to find out what the hell is going on.
No wonder you cant speak to a human there, they would get so much abuse, all day long

Hermes used to only answer on Facebook messenger. Not sure if that is still the case. Dreadful service and company who I refuse to deal with.