An e bay dilemma

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

I purchased a set of clubs of e bay last week. On arrival they appeared "hooky" so i rang the manufacturer. They informed me the serial No referred to clubs manufactured some 3 years ago in the US with steel shafts. These were sealed in bags, as new, unused with graphite. They were marked assesmbled in Japan (this Mfr only assesmbles in the US) and having owned 3 sets of these before were the wrong weight, colour and design. Mfr said they were almost certainly fake.

After communication with seller i got a full refund and returned clubs. Seller is convinced they are genuine and has re listed them as new and genuine (states he has been advised by AG and Mfr they are real and i am wrong). I know they are not.

I have received a full refund and i believe the seller genuinely thinks they are real (they have never sold golf stuff before but have 400+ plus sales with 100% feedback) and is basically an honest person.

Question, what should i do, forget it as its someone elses problem or report it to e bay (i cannot prove they are fakes without sending them to mfr for confirmation) and let them sort it?

Edgey

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Serial number is no guarantee of authenticity. I think you should report the item to ebay, but do not hold your breath thereafter. Tell ebay what you know from the manufacturers comments and it is up to them. My experience is they don't give a toss. I assume the manufacturer also knows about the auction, rather than just having received an enquiry about a serial number. Some have active copyright infringement departments.

B

birdieman

I agree that despite what Ebay say they don't actually give a stuff about fakes, if they can get their listing fees and selling fees that's all they're in it for really.
Therefore informing them is perhaps a waste of time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At least if you do something then your conscience is clear. If e-bay do nothing its not your fault. I'd also go back to the manufacturer and warn them they are back out for sale. Some do have departments actively looking for fraud

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I'd have reported it already!!!

Out of interest, what clubs are they?

A mate of mine got stiffed off eBay, he bought what he thought was a brand new set of TM RAC's, complete with a TM tour bag & Rossa putter all brand new (this was about 3-4 years ago).

He paid £450 and thought he got a bargain, until the very 1st time he used them and the head fell off one of the irons!

He took them to the pro shop where we were playing and informed my mate he'd bought fakes in seconds, compairing his to a set of originals.

Off my mate goes back to eBay to discover the seller no longer exists and eBay offered no help whatsoever....the single reason I will never buy golf gear from there!

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
If you dont report it you are as bad as the guy selling the fakes, the only reason he was so keen to give you a refund was he didn't want you to rock the boat for him, and he knows he will just resell them, report him and give him negative feedback