Dyson vacuum trouble

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a DC55 for the past 5 years. It is a good piece of kit. Suddenly the brushes at the bottom have stopped moving. So it is pointless over a carpet. The machine turns on, the long reach tube is fine and has plenty of suction. The bottom head does not have much suction and the brushes no longer move. Have seen a lot of YT videos about clogged hair and have rmoved a ton of it. I even ordered a replacement head, but the brushes won’t move. At my wits end.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I had a similar problem with a V8, there is a YT video that shows the removal of the shaft that the roller sits over, this gets clogged with hair, maybe you have tried this, if not it is worth a go, only took five minutes, sorted mine.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a similar problem with a V8, there is a YT video that shows the removal of the shaft that the roller sits over, this gets clogged with hair, maybe you have tried this, if not it is worth a go, only took five minutes, sorted mine.
Done that.. found hair in different places

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My (older) Dyson has a small red reset button on the brush head to get it restarted when it got clogged with too much hair. This was independent to the brush button by the power switch on the body of the vacuum.
Not sure if the "newer" models such as the DC55 has something similar?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My (older) Dyson has a small red reset button on the brush head to get it restarted when it got clogged with too much hair. This was independent to the brush button by the power switch on the body of the vacuum.
Not sure if the "newer" models such as the DC55 has something similar?
I remember having something like that in my old machine (a few years ago)... but the DC55 does not seem to have it

I should have said belt, not band.

It sounds as though @williamalex1 is likely to be correct but this isn't a bad plan b to check if not. We had 2 belts snap on us so it's my default thought on a Dyson 😄
this looks like an ancient model. dont think the newer ones have it. Now the brushes are more like a direct drive or suction driven - so no belts involved

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember having something like that in my old machine (a few years ago)... but the DC55 does not seem to have it

this looks like an ancient model. dont think the newer ones have it. Now the brushes are more like a direct drive or suction driven - so no belts involved
Keep us up to date please (y)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Update: Chatted with their customer help.. went thru the motions and they have now scheduled a service collection ,, for next week for £79.. incl spares, which looks like a good one. It was a no-quibbles experience.

The only thing that did not work was that they offered 25% off a new machine - which was tempting but unfortunately is still a lot of money. So had to pass on it.

Speaking on new machines. One of the benefits of non-EU market was that we can have more powerful vacuums. Has any manufacturer launched a non-EU compliant machine?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Update: Dyson service was pretty good. For £79, They arranged for it to be picked up, serviced, cleaned and returned. Picked up on Friday, delivered back on Monday!! From the service notes, it looks like the PCB was blown. Repairing it was included.

The only poor experience was that they took £79 and then no one turned up. So had to chat again and pay again to get it picked up. Waiting for my original £79 to be repaid.. other than that, stunning service