Fridges and Lawn mowers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not removing grass clippings (a la Flymo) causes thatch. You get a soft spongy lawn with no root depth, vulnerable to disease and moss.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you have mentioned, buy the best you can afford as it will pay over the long term. If you can afford Miele for your appliances I would certainly recommend. Dyson is a good choice, ours is just being replaced after 10 years of faithful service!

Again it's to late to stop the Dyson purchase. I used to work at TJH and the amount of Dysons that were returned was amazing. Think about it £200 to suck up fluff!!! Sure Dyson maybe a super strong sucktion and hold it sucktion power due to design, but you are sucking up fluff. Just how much suction does a machine need to suck up fluff. I bought an Electrolux 1300 TWENTY YEARS AGO. It's still going strong. 10 years out of a Dyson and you change it? Good grief!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really. Ultimately a hover type mower drives small particles of grass back into the soil which after not very long will clog and help moss to grow. I agree many have them, and from a distance they appear to do a job but I have seen a flymo turn a gorgeous lawn into a moss pit after 3 years.

I have no moss in my lawn and the flymo has a collection box. I think one of the reasons for a poor lawn is down to user error.

If I had a gorgeous lawn I wouldn't use a flymo, would only use a cylinder mower.
Typicalr user errors are probably, blunt blades, not using spacers on first few cuts, cutting grass when its far too long and also when too wet!

Oh, and cylinder mowers will do the same as a flymo unless used properly ie: using a grass box and raking the grass over in the spring and autumn.

Finally, a flymo is perfectly able for the vast majority of gardeners that require a patch of green grass that can be used and played on for children and pets.

Last edited:

bansheedrate

Hacker
Visit site
I'm looking to "buy to last" more than "buy on a budget" but your advice is sound as I don't want to pay more than I need to. I think for garden furniture I will take your advice as they look used after about two weeks :)

Looking at my list I don't know where to start with buying a shed and lawn mower.

No idea what to look for in a good fridge freezer or washing machine. I don't think gadgety however, just works and stays working!

I couldn't agree more. The best value for money is buying the something of competitive value and quality. I got my garden shed 3 years ago from http://whatshed.co.uk/quality-sheds/. I got the 6x9 BSW Garden pod. It's been a long time but its still good as new. If you will check the design it's really attractive, the curve design is eye-catching like no other. Its color has faded a bit, but just simple fix it will be ok.

So I suggest that if you have a budget and willing to stretch it a bit, you can get the same design that I have. Yes, it's a bit pricey but it's worth it.

bansheedrate

Hacker
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. The best value for money is buying the something of competitive value and quality. I got my garden shed 3 years ago from http://whatshed.co.uk/quality-sheds/. I got the 6x9 BSW Garden pod. It's been a long time but its still good as new. If you will check the design it's really attractive, the curve design is eye-catching like no other. Its color has faded a bit, but just simple fix it will be ok.

So I suggest that if you have a budget and willing to stretch it a bit, you can get the same design that I have. Yes, it's a bit pricey but it's worth it.

I'm sorry I failed to check the date it was posted. It's a sign of getting old. I'm searching using keywords and this popped up. Sorry, my bad. But I hope you were able to buy a good value.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pity you're not just around the corner. We're getting rid of a full house of everything.

Ive got a house full now!

Shed is brillopads, lovely fridge, dishwasher, drier and washer. The dyson is probably the most Meh of the lot but its always charged an gets used daily. Would never use a traditional vac as often.

D

Deleted member 23270

The dyson was genius IMO. It was £150 off and it's also the wife's Xmas present.

Good luck making it to your next wedding anniversary :thup:

For her birthday you could get her the latest Apple device......an iRon :rofl:

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can get a petrol McCulloch mower out of Wickes for £150 and it's a decent bit of kit(just bought one).
For your shed, I would say build your own! I managed to build a 3x3m at 2.4m high and even built a base all for £500.