DX3 SoftSpin - anyone tried?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been using the DX2, but the weekend just gone was probably the first time I really thought that I might need a ball with a bit more spin for the summer. Hit a couple of nice approaches into the front part of greens that just bounced and rolled off the back.

Had a look and noticed the DX3 SoftSpin in shops, presumably just a better spinning 3-piece version of what I'm using, so shouldn't take too much adjustment, seems ideal. I'm not sure if it's just an old Wilson ball in new packaging or what, but anyone tried them at all? If there is barely any difference to the DX2 though I'll look at something else instead.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It can often just be the greens. Played yesterday and the greens were slow and a little fluffy, but didn't hold anything at all!

I play with some folk who have been using a Pro V1 and struggling to hold greens, low single figure golfers, so I can assure you that the ball striking isn't an issue.

Also, a ball that spins more around the greens, will equally spin more off a driver usually, so a slice becomes a big slice and so on....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It can often just be the greens. Played yesterday and the greens were slow and a little fluffy, but didn't hold anything at all!

I play with some folk who have been using a Pro V1 and struggling to hold greens, low single figure golfers, so I can assure you that the ball striking isn't an issue.

Also, a ball that spins more around the greens, will equally spin more off a driver usually, so a slice becomes a big slice and so on....
I would have assumed that - but the manufacturers ALWAYS say that it doesn't, lol. Here's a quote from the TodaysGolfer review I just Googled:
"[FONT=&quot]A new inner core generates lower-spinning drives for extra distance, while a softer surlyn cover increases spin on approaches."[/FONT]

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would have assumed that - but the manufacturers ALWAYS say that it doesn't, lol. Here's a quote from the TodaysGolfer review I just Googled:
"A new inner core generates lower-spinning drives for extra distance, while a softer surlyn cover increases spin on approaches."

I wanted the super spin ball that stopped and spun back a little, but realized it wasn't so easy to judge. I use the DX2 optix, I like the Lime/Orange, and get on fine with it. I find in the summer, I'm best to play for front of the green and let the ball run on rather than changing to a 'spin' ball that causes me trouble off the tee!!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
if it's a Surlyn cover then it won't be that good IMO. Urethane covered balls still produce the best results for feel and spin rates.

Often pricier than Ionmer covers such as Surlyn but if you want better control around the greens then I would suggest getting urethane.

Although I'm sure they get lambasted on here the Dunlop DP1-V3 is a three piece ball with urethane cover that are sold at sports direct for £14 per dozen online. I've played them before and they are not bad balls at all, a little harder than the premium three piece balls but for the money very good, they get shunned because they are Dunlop. Even though Dunlop are owned by the same company that own Srixon and they often share the factories.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wanted the super spin ball that stopped and spun back a little, but realized it wasn't so easy to judge. I use the DX2 optix, I like the Lime/Orange, and get on fine with it. I find in the summer, I'm best to play for front of the green and let the ball run on rather than changing to a 'spin' ball that causes me trouble off the tee!!

I've been using Optix, I had a mare though as I bought the pink ones last week and it turns out they are awful. As soon as they hit the ground in the distance I can't see where they've gone at all. The orange ones are much better though.

if it's a Surlyn cover then it won't be that good IMO. Urethane covered balls still produce the best results for feel and spin rates.

Often pricier than Ionmer covers such as Surlyn but if you want better control around the greens then I would suggest getting urethane.

Although I'm sure they get lambasted on here the Dunlop DP1-V3 is a three piece ball with urethane cover that are sold at sports direct for £14 per dozen online. I've played them before and they are not bad balls at all, a little harder than the premium three piece balls but for the money very good, they get shunned because they are Dunlop. Even though Dunlop are owned by the same company that own Srixon and they often share the factories.
Yeah, I've heard all about those ones. That's another one I'll definitely consider - dirt cheap for a 3-piece.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Indeed.

The TM project (a) has been a bit of a revelation in this area over the last couple of weeks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Another vote for those here. I have yet to fully try them but played with one for none holes and it made me buy 2 dozen when they were on offer.

Srixon AD333 Tour is made by Dunlop (at least was the last time I read the details on a box)

Foreplay

Medal Winner
Visit site

Also, a ball that spins more around the greens, will equally spin more off a driver usually, so a slice becomes a big slice and so on

I never realised that a ball could affect your drives but having read the above it makes sense why when using Srixon balls ALL my drives were sliced but since changing to Titleist DT ALL my drives are straight as an arrow.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Also, a ball that spins more around the greens, will equally spin more off a driver usually, so a slice becomes a big slice and so on

I never realised that a ball could affect your drives but having read the above it makes sense why when using Srixon balls ALL my drives were sliced but since changing to Titleist DT ALL my drives are straight as an arrow.
I'm not sure about that mate. Depends more on the model than the brand name, because all Srixon balls are not equal for a start.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Not tried the DX3, but I bought a box of the DX2 Soft last night as I'm playing Muirfield in the throws of Storm Hectare later and wanted a cheap ball as I'm not expecting to keep too many on the course.

Absolutely loved the feel of these things, both off the tee and around the green. Sack brand snobbery, I reckon I'll be buying a lot more of these. Must try the DX3 if they are a better version.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not tried the DX3, but I bought a box of the DX2 Soft last night as I'm playing Muirfield in the throws of Storm Hectare later and wanted a cheap ball as I'm not expecting to keep too many on the course.

I think the starter at Muirfield checks all the players balls, they won't allow you to play unless using a premium ball ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to bump this but I never actually made up my mind. And I've brought another one into the mix of my thinking, of course.

Am now considering the Bridgestone e6 Soft, which seems to get pretty strong reviews. Anyone used that one? I'm thinking either that or the DX3 Urethane which you guys recommended in this topic.

I don't know if the e6 is urethane or not. Clubhouse Golf says it is, most of the reviews I saw says it's surlyn though, and the Bridgestone website doesn't say one or the other.