Dunlop Tour Soft balls

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I know Dunlop is a dirty word to some on here, but just saw that Sports Direct are selling these at £10 for 24 or £17 for 48.

That works out at 35p per ball. I have been using Callaway and Srixon balls recently, paying around a quid a ball. I lose 2-3 balls per round, sometimes more if I am having a bad day!

As a relative beginner who is slowly getting the hang of the game, will I notice much difference if I switch to the Dunlops, other than it saving me about a tenner a week?

Also, would I be better buying these to use on the practice ground as opposed to lake balls?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I found a couple last week while looking for one of my wild tee shots. So I just played the Dunlop tour for a couple of holes. It doesn't have and spin, despite being called "tour" and it was amazingly short distance wise. At least 20 yards with the driver and you can knock 10 yards off each iron.

I deliberately drove rove it into the lake on our 12th hole, it was crap!

get yourself on eBay and look for lake balls, some don't like them but I seriously can't fault them. For example:
- £21 delivered for 50 Srixon z stars listed as b class. 27 were mint (I can't see a single mark) while the rest were totally playable with minor scuffs.
- £18 delivered for 50 taylormade hex black grade b again but 90% are perfect and the rest like the scuffed ones above.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think they are absolutely fine, and perfectly adequate for what you want to use them for. They just won't have the same quality as a premium ball for feel and spin off your wedges.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just put this on another thread but here goes anyway, I didn't realise that Dunlop made 'Srixon,Cleveland,XXIO' golf equipment, so what's the chances then that Dunlop balls share the same manufacturing processes/materials as Srixons 'AD333/Tour/Soft feel' balls, pretty high I'd say...

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stock up with Dunlop Tour Soft balls for the winter as they are cheap and cheerful. The course is so wet from December to March that it hardly matters what ball you play with.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I found a couple last week. Only lasted a few holes with them (I'm struggling) but they were short, clicky off the putter and frankly not great. Not even for my wonky game

Oh please! Really! There's a thread opened and you happened to find TWO last week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Oh please! Really! There's a thread opened and you happened to find TWO last week.

Yep... and lost them just as quick. I'm playing that crap. To beo honest (or it could be a gross misconception) there was a society out in front, with one or two, social golfers so perhaps not that surprising. I should also perhaps refer you to post #2 and the fact I'm no the only one to have found some recently

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf is pretty expensive regardless of what balls you play, but why not buy a box and give them a try? 1 you buy them you like them and the fit a purpose or 2 you buy them don't like them because they are seriously clicky (some people don't mind that) but you have a stock of winter golf balls or field practise ones, I would say have a punt, but I hate noisy balls but its all personal preference

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Apologies. Cynical me. I thought some here might be keeping post count high! Aren't you body searched for Dunlop golf balls before entering a quarter mile exclusion zone at Royal ascot gc? Jeez, all the OP asked was a genuine opinion on them.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Give the guy a break, he gave his opinion that was the same as mine, short and crap.

Why spend 35p per ball on a Dunlop when you can spend 35p per ball on a premium ball. I picked up 30 B330 tour lake balls on eBay last night for 39p per ball

actually, ignore that - I don't need you lot nicking my good deals....

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Give the guy a break, he gave his opinion that was the same as mine, short and crap.

Why spend 35p per ball on a Dunlop when you can spend 35p per ball on a premium ball. I picked up 30 B330 tour lake balls on eBay last night for 39p per ball

actually, ignore that - I don't need you lot nicking my good deals....

which ebay seller do you use?

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Just put this on another thread but here goes anyway, I didn't realise that Dunlop made 'Srixon,Cleveland,XXIO' golf equipment, so what's the chances then that Dunlop balls share the same manufacturing processes/materials as Srixons 'AD333/Tour/Soft feel' balls, pretty high I'd say...

I've read somewhere that it's a different Dunlop in Japan or something like that. Confused me when I was after AD333's

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apologies. Cynical me. I thought some here might be keeping post count high! Aren't you body searched for Dunlop golf balls before entering a quarter mile exclusion zone at Royal ascot gc? Jeez, all the OP asked was a genuine opinion on them.

Is there any need? RAGC is one of the most open and friendly clubs in the entire area despite whatever prejudices you seem to be projecting.