Dubbin on golf shoes. Yes or No?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Once my shoes get beyond their guaranteed waterproof period, I have always given them to the occasional treatment with dubbin.
I mentioned this to someone recently, who said it was a bad idea. As it was a passing comment, I didn't persue it, but what do others on here think about Dubbin?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As you all know I have 16 pairs of FJ. Many are 5-8 years old now and I tend to give them a good dub every two or three wears depending mainly on whether they get wet/damp or not. None of them showing any sign of splitting.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not sure if I'm reading it right, are you saying you don't clean them with a dubbin or anything to help protect them further during their warranty period?

I use baby wipes to clean them of general dirt after they have been air blasted at the club and then I use a liquid polish with the foam on the end of a bottle to clean them properly. I prefer this to dubbin which I think gets a bit messy.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Once my shoes get beyond their guaranteed waterproof period, I have always given them to the occasional treatment with dubbin.
I mentioned this to someone recently, who said it was a bad idea. As it was a passing comment, I didn't persue it, but what do others on here think about Dubbin?
I thought dubbin went out with Brycream, centre partings, baggy football shorts, leather studs with nails in them, and real leather footballs that weighed a ton when they got wet!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought dubbin went out with Brycream, centre partings, baggy football shorts, leather studs with nails in them, and real leather footballs that weighed a ton when they got wet!
Some are still in use , Dubbin twice a year, Brylcreem on occasion to shine up my sparse locks, baggy shorts but sadly no longer baggy. stud not now days . balls that weigh a ton no more.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

A couple of years ago I asked the Spotty oik who worked in JJB Sports if they sold dubbin and he looked at me like I had 2 heads despite the fact they did actually sell it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
A couple of years ago I asked the Spotty oik who worked in JJB Sports if they sold dubbin and he looked at me like I had 2 heads despite the fact they did actually sell it.

There's guy at my place who uses liquid polish like me but then smears his shoes with Vaseline, he says its just raw dubbin but a 1/4 the price :eek:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought dubbin went out with Brycream, centre partings, baggy football shorts, leather studs with nails in them, HNSP, and real leather footballs that weighed a ton when they got wet!

There you go del.....fixed it.

Dubbin on real leather works well so long as you use the Homer method.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ecco shoes incorporate a goretex membrane which keeps them waterproof therefore Dubbin would be a waste of time. I use Kiwi Parade Gloss on mine.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I started use dubbing on my shoes when they started to leak a little and it sorted them out a treat. It also seemed to help them stop getting as dirty too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There you go del.....fixed it.

Dubbin on real leather works well so long as you use the Homer method.

In fact the patented Homer method has more stages.

Bring shoes home
Get wife to wipe over with baby wipes to clean residual debris shoe cleaning machine missed
Tell wife to pack with newspaper if wet/damp
Leave several days to dry properly
Get wife to apply polish
Leave to dry
Get wife to apply dubbin
Leave to dry
Put back in box