Drones (anyone used one during a round)

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played a few times at my course and took mine out, usually late out in the summer when the course was empty and I got the GM's permission beforehand. He was fine with it and was interested to see the photos.

You rarely need to be concerned with the legal aspects given you're on course and so you're probably well away from built up areas and if you're playing late then you're not around crowds either. Depending on what you're planning on flying then I guess the rules might be less, I have the larger Mavic for longer flights and then I have the Mini Pro 3 for something I can stick in a bag and being under the 250g limit there are far less regulations that I have to stick to.

Hi - I'd love to see some of your filming / photo's

Visit site
Well I think a drone is a splendid idea. You'd be able to see who was raking/not raking bunkers, repairing pitch marks, divots etc. That should sharpen a few up!!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi - I'd love to see some of your filming / photo's

Unfortunately I learnt a hard lesson about a month ago in that my PC had a hard drive failure and whilst my work is backed up to OneDrive my personal folder wasn’t. Despite my local tech guys best efforts all of the golf stuff was lost along with everything else. I’ve now set everything up again with a back up and then a second physical hard drive as another back up should anything fail.

This photo I did find as I emailed it to my iPhone recently!! Flown from Porth Island and looking back towards Newquay.

04EEA8C0-9769-4E40-AA2B-2D29520C0E1E.jpeg

Genu9

Visit site
During a particularly dry spell in 2021 my club used a drone to video the course to map where the clay drains were as they bake the grass above. This gives you the best retainable map of where they are for future replacement. Great use of modern technology to establish ancient drainage.

sunshine

Visit site
I'd be lost without my drone, it's an essential part of my pre-shot routine:

1. Consult watch to check distance to front / middle / back of the green.
2. Laser the pin.
3. Fly drone up to the green to get a better view of landing zone, slopes of the green etc.
4. Consult yardage book.
5. Start my visualisation, practice swings, and breathing techniques...