Driving Range nr Knutsford

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going to be in the area next week, not enough free time to play a round, but I want to go to a range one morning for a bit. Big comp on the following Saturday so I need to practice, particularly after having a lesson last week which did not transfer well onto the course. Anyway, I found the American Golf Academy at High Legh GC range but they charge £5 for 50 balls. That sounds steep to me, unless that is normal for down there. Any other decent ranges in the area?

I don't want to go to far from base, before anyone mentions Trafford Golf Centre. There is no point in spending £4 on balls and £6 on fuel.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
They have the tracer and it's a really nice range.
The only other I know about is Heyrose Golf Club.
It's not the longest, has random balls (possibly found on the course) and is an old shack but it is cheap and always quiet when I've been.
Hartford is good to but not much cheaper.

Last edited:

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going to be in the area next week, not enough free time to play a round, but I want to go to a range one morning for a bit. Big comp on the following Saturday so I need to practice, particularly after having a lesson last week which did not transfer well onto the course. Anyway, I found the American Golf Academy at High Legh GC range but they charge £5 for 50 balls. That sounds steep to me, unless that is normal for down there. Any other decent ranges in the area?

I don't want to go to far from base, before anyone mentions Trafford Golf Centre. There is no point in spending £4 on balls and £6 on fuel.

Think it’s £8 for 100 and they have the top tracers for free at High Legh... not much better and cheaper in the area...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, basically, stop being a tight wad and pay the money at High legh. If that's the price down there then that's the price. Thanks for the advice folks.

Louise, Altrincham isn't too far away but there is more traffic en route. High Legh is pretty simple from where I'll be and for the difference of 50p is not worth avoiding. There is also the slight lure of an American Golf bargain basket, I do love the potential of a bargain 😁 and a nose of what is coming out this season, there is no pro shop at my club.

D

Deleted member 21258

Went to High Legh this morning. Great set up, thanks for the recommendation. It's a real blueprint for how ranges should be.

It is a great setup there, been to the course a couple of times and son used the range, very nice. First time came across the tracer on a range, good fun.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I've never used a Top Tracer before either. It was a bit of a shock at first as I was about 20yds short of where I expected. Thankfully after 15 or so balls I'd clearly loosened up and I recovered the lost distance, phew. It did highlight that my mid irons are remarkably similar in distance, largely due to my poor technique. Something to work on.

It was certainly helpful and something I'd look out for when looking for a range in future.