Driving range mats

NotQuiteTiger

Club Champion
Visit site
As someone fairly new to golf I assumed going to the range whenever possible would be a good thing, and where it is to practise with the big stick, I find the mats quite difficult to play shots of sometimes using the irons. Obviously they are nothing like grass and feel completly different. Just wondering what you guys think about range mats etc? Do I struggle with the mats because i'm still a bit rubbish or is it a general thing?

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find range mats tend to promote a shot and swing that just lifts the ball of the surface, rather than striking it purer and slightly through at impact.

There is no substitute for the real grass, but if its all you got . . . . .

The range for me is just somewhere to grind out a repeatable swing, a foundation, natural turf is where you can start building.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driving ranges are ok for tee'd up shots for woods but rubbish for irons off mats,imho. It's possible to hit the mat well behind the ball, the ball pops up, and you then connect with the ball "on the up" and you think that you have hit a good shot. In reality, your ball striking needs to be very good for mats to be useful in providing feedback.

If you can find somewhere to practice iron play off grass, you will learn so much more about your ball striking.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used a mat for the first time in about 8 months a week ago today having finally conceded that it was too dark at 6 o clock to go to my clubs practice ground which is where all my practice during the above period has been. I absolutely hated it and hit the ball terribly, I went to the practice ground friday night at about 4 o clock and was striking it beautifully off grass.

Guess it is no flood lit range time for me this winter.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you naturally take big divots, then mats can be a problem, if you don't, they are ok.

I don't find it too much of a problem, but don't like to hit too many iron shots as I find it can jar my wrists.

Better off being one of the oiks who just smashes their driver one after the other.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with the comments that "chunky" shots off a mat are rewarded with a half decent result whereas on a course or grass practice ground all you get is a bg divot and a 30 yards shot.

However in the winter they are probably what most of us have to resort too especially week nights and to be fair you can keep the swing in reasonable nick using a range. There is nothing to substitute practicing off grass though and I find it is my short game that suffers as chipping of a mat bears no resemblance to playing off turf. You can't really play things like flop shots and open the blade up.

My suggestion is to find a range with decent quality mats and good lighting. However as we've touched upon on other threads for me the quality of the ball is the most important thing. Playing with chipped balls with no dimples will not help your game no matter how you swing the club. I'm fortunate that the range I use has top quality Srixon range balls so at least it bears some resemblance to a real shot in flight

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you naturally take big divots, then mats can be a problem, if you don't, they are ok.

I don't find it too much of a problem, but don't like to hit too many iron shots as I find it can jar my wrists.

Better off being one of the oiks who just smashes their driver one after the other.

especially if you're hitting them well and the guy next door is floundering with miss hit irons

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The mats at my club are like concrete but I have found another range (closer to home) with better mats. They have a carpet underlay.

markwarne

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One thing I would add to this is the possible damage you could do to your elbows when hitting off mats.

As most others have aluded to, a mat has nowhere near the responsiveness of grass, and indeed my golfing buddy has been laid up for two months after giving it the beans off the mats at our club.

He complains of a persistent pain in the elbow / lower arm when swinging that he did not have before using the mats.

That said, I practice three times a week off mats and have had no bother, but I suspect that is down to the quality of the mat.

Just so you are aware though.

DCB

Visit site
"That said, I practice three times a week off mats and have had no bother, but I suspect that is down to the quality of the mat"

Could also be down to better ball striking.

I play regularly at my club throughout the year. I also use the driving range throughout the year. As long as I'm striking down on the ball and taking a shallow divot in front of the ball i.e. after striking the ball, I'm quite happy. Taking this to the range and off mats has no ill effects because I take a shallow (almost a graze of the grass) divot as opposed to something a JCB would dig up.

If I get the ball position wrong through lazyness in setting up, or through bad posture etc, I hit the ball either fat or too steeply and end up with a poor shot.

Never had issues with wrists or elbows when playing off mats at the range. That could be down to technique or it could be down to not hitting hundreds of balls in a session.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
I dont see much of a problem with range mats,if you hit the mat first yeah it does still go but you know you did it so it aint a good shot,i always here people complaining about them,if they dont like them dont go but if like me you like a golfing fix after work it does the job

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
My outlook on ranges, mats, flood lights, automatic tees, tee hights etc...is at 8pm any night of the week its all I got, I get my head down and drive these awkward swinging techniques into my muscles......strengthen up my wrists.....get my alignment together and a repetative pre shot routine.

I know its not like grass but what you gonna do??? I see it as preperation for the new year where I tell myself i'm gonna TEAR IT UP EVERY WEEK!!!!!

thomas1981

Club Champion
Visit site
What do you guys think of using short tees with irons instead of straight of the mat? Does this still provide enough swing practice without sore wrists and elbows?