Driving Range at Home

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own and I admire the dedication but for me, if I am working on my game I want to see the ball flight and how it reacts. On a long shot I want to see if it as on line and if not what side it missed on. If I am working on the short game or pitching I want to know about my distance control and how it spins and reacts. You can't really do that in a net or garage without a simulator and again, once you go down that road to get something reasonable (and accurate) just bumps the price up
See I disagree here Homer. I’f you’re making Actual swing changes, the flight/direction of the ball is literally irrelevant. You want to see progress in the swing initially

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is my back garden, I hardly ever hit any balls though!

vNPusam.jpg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
See I disagree here Homer. I’f you’re making Actual swing changes, the flight/direction of the ball is literally irrelevant. You want to see progress in the swing initially

I respect that but in my opinion hitting a ball 5-10 yards with no feedback is irrelavant. Unless the contact is so poor (shank etc) then I don't see how you see how the changes you're trying to make are translating in terms of direction, distance, flight pattern and height

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I respect that but in my opinion hitting a ball 5-10 yards with no feedback is irrelavant. Unless the contact is so poor (shank etc) then I don't see how you see how the changes you're trying to make are translating in terms of direction, distance, flight pattern and height
But seeing flight gives you 0 indication of a swing change... a camera showing your swing hitting into a net is the. Only way you can see if you’ve changed?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
But seeing flight gives you 0 indication of a swing change... a camera showing your swing hitting into a net is the. Only way you can see if you’ve changed?
Your making a change because you want to get better. With your existing swing you will still hit shots that go perfect.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Your making a change because you want to get better. With your existing swing you will still hit shots that go perfect.

But you could argue that a camera behind you on the range and/or the practice ground is equally as good to compare the original swing to the new ones you are working on. I agree that the original swing may produce good results, but by hitting and seeing fuller shots will give more feedback on exactly how the shot went and you can compare things like distance and dispersion easier.

I always respect your point of view but on this subject I think we'll have to agree to disagree and we clearly have different views on indoor practice

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Just to give another lowish cost option/view. I have one of those skypro things, there are a few of the swing path trackers around.
When on a full range, I'm guilty of caring to much where the ball is going. Hitting into a net I was able to focus on the moves/positions. Could do with the weather improving to dig it out again.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a net and mat and use the excellent almost golf balls. Couldn’t risk shanking a real ball!
I think when you’re drilling Crossfield and others say strike doesn’t matter, it’s all about the feel and reps which is more cost effective to do at home.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I agree with not getting to fixated on ball flight. If it isn't what you want, it doesn't necessarily mean that what you are doing is wrong, it might just take time to bed in.