Driving nets and mats recommendation

Big85

Visit site
Hi all,
as the title says?I’m looking at getting more practice in whilst at home and struggling for time to drive to the range. Any recommendations on a good driving net and Mat for the garden?
many thanks

Miller

Visit site

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In the first lock down last spring I got a big 10ft x10ft professional net, borrowed a range mat from my local club. But tbh it did more harm than good, just ingrained a swing fault. I'd recommend getting some sort of sim or radar type thing so you can see the spin numbers etc so you know what's going on withbthe strike. I sold it to a mate once we stated playing again. For me it was a waste of time and money.

Big85

Visit site
Ah ok. A guy I played golf with the other day said he had got a net and mat and everyday hit 50 balls. He said his ball striking improve dramatically. He plays off 8 handicap.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Could work for some, but how do you know you are not ingraining asking fault, when you see the ball flight on a range it can tell you the distance, what sort of side spin you are putting on it. At the time I was using strike tape, and thought I was ripping it, when I got on a course. I think I'd lost maybe 20 yards and the ball was just spinning out of control. I only hit irons in it. Admittedly mine was almost 2 months in a net, but I wasn't alone, 2 others I know had the same experience, we called it netitis ? i

I'd still do it but, be aware if it were me again I'd want some sort of conformation of the spin distance, I think it was net world sports / forbes. It was a great net, galvanised steel poles, plenty of strong double weave netting. £399 , plus del

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also got a net in the first lockdown - only a cheap one plus foam balls so I didn't rip through it and break any windows - but I also found it of limited benefit. Patrick's right that you don't really know if you're slicing it, hooking it, hitting it too high etc - but moreover it's just kind of boring when you can't see where the ball's going. I could do it for about 10 minutes and then I'd be putting it all away again. The only benefit was keeping the swing moving and the muscle memory going when we weren't allowed to play for months.

I don't know if the nets work well with say Top Tracer or Swingcaddie or whatever, but something like that would certainly promote more usefulness.

Miller

Visit site
It's been useful for me in learning how to consistently hit the ball. The more I can hit the ball, the more value I get out of my range sessions. Wild topping and slices just waste my money and I'd rather do that at home.

Also at home, I can video myself to analyse my swing without worrying about anyone nicking my iPhone.