Driving Iron?

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Afternoon,

Who in here uses a driving iron? Ive been tempted to pick up a Ping Crossover, Mizuno MP4 or something similar. Im not the shortest hitter and have realised in reality I don't need to hit driver on a lot of the holes on my course. For example we have a 280yard downhill par 4. Its easy to try give it some gas and end up slicing and ruining the hole. There a number of holes sub 380 yard that if i could find a solid tee club that would leave me a nice wedge/9 iron into the green rather than trying to hammer the driver.

At the minute im not carrying any woods/hybrids so am currently thinking of something to fill that gap but primarily off the tee? Im guessing a hybrid is easier to hit but the iron more penetrating flight for when its windy. I play off 20 so not the most consistent hitter but would like to hear others experiences.

Any suggestions or if you are selling something you think would work please PM me (Stiff flex please)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I bought the Titliest T-mb 3 iron. It goes a long, long way, probably 5 wood length at least. Love it so much I then bought the 4 iron but that's caused a bit of consternation. Going from the Titliest T-mb 4 iron to the Titliest AP3 5 iron leaves a big gap between them.

I've since dropped the T-mb 4 iron and put the AP3 4 iron back in, using the T-mb 3 iron just as a driving iron. TBH, I prefer using it to my 3 wood. There's very little difference in distance and although both very accurate, the 3 iron wins.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Think Patrick is selling a Mizuno one in the for sale section.

I have a G400 Crossover and it's a magnificent machine, miles better than the original Crossover which was an anti right machine. Feel and looks are also night and day better than the original.

Try a few.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been using an old graphite-shafted 3 iron as a 'driving iron' all through summer and it's worked really well. Gets me about 210 yards off the tee on a good hit, and it's very forgiving and easy to hit straight. Always struggled with fairway woods and hybrids so this has been a great solution.

It has made me consider upgrading to a proper driving iron, but I've never seen any that I thought were aimed at higher handicappers really. Like, I'm not sure if there's a 'game improvement' version of a driving iron that would suit me.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I have a TM-b 2 iron, absolute bomber, was the best club in the bag for most of the summer, has the winter off as it's not required, it's earned it's rest.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've been using an old graphite-shafted 3 iron as a 'driving iron' all through summer and it's worked really well. Gets me about 210 yards off the tee on a good hit, and it's very forgiving and easy to hit straight. Always struggled with fairway woods and hybrids so this has been a great solution.

It has made me consider upgrading to a proper driving iron, but I've never seen any that I thought were aimed at higher handicappers really. Like, I'm not sure if there's a 'game improvement' version of a driving iron that would suit me.

If you are reasonably consistent strike wise you could easily use something like the Ping Crossover or the Cobra one.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
depending what model you go for the MP18 fli hi 2 iron is 16.5 deg and the 3 iron (in the FSS) is 19, so make sure you check before buying

Thanks,

It' is the mp18 i have, but they were blended to a set of mp18 blades. so both were weakened to 20 and 24 respectively so as to fit better.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks,

It' is the mp18 i have, but they were blended to a set of mp18 blades. so both were weakened to 20 and 24 respectively so as to fit better.
No Problem, the ass pro at my mates shop ordered a 2 iron and had it bent 2 deg stronger by Mizuno as he wanted a 1 iron really and didn't realize its virtually already was;) so had to bend it back again:ROFLMAO:

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a few over the last season as prefer them to a driver off the tee.

Ping 3 Crossover (original) nice club, no real feedback on hits but goes like the clappers. Found it too ugly to keep so moved on.

Titleist TMB 3 Iron-absolutely beautiful club, goes well with a. Good strike but as a high handicapper I was punished on mishits badly. Will definitely have one of these again in the future as they are stunning.

Mizuno MPH4 3 Iron-great club, goes miles, High launching and cheap to pick up. A great purchase (still got one)

Adams pro DHY 18 Degree-like a cheap mans crossover, not for me.

Srixon ZU65 2 Iron-an absolute beast of a club, looks amazing, feels amazing and will stay in my bag for a very long time to come.

I’ve dropped my driver now and use my ZU65 or Cobra 3/4 Hybrid from the tee instead.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ping Crossdresser here. Um I meant Crossover.

Goes like a low bullet and runs for days.
Hugely forgiving so heavy contacts still get out there. It's ugly but very functional

foreputt

Visit site
Never been a fan of hitting driver and 3 wood will reach a lot of hazards at my place, so went after a driving iron myself.
Not gonna lie, struggled with the driving irons and didn’t like the hybrids. Ended up after a fair Chunk of testing with the Gapr high, lovely club, very forgiving IMO, the choice of heads for me meant I could get the one that fitted the gap between 4i and 3wd perfectly!

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
Had a few over the last season as prefer them to a driver off the tee.

Ping 3 Crossover (original) nice club, no real feedback on hits but goes like the clappers. Found it too ugly to keep so moved on.

Titleist TMB 3 Iron-absolutely beautiful club, goes well with a. Good strike but as a high handicapper I was punished on mishits badly. Will definitely have one of these again in the future as they are stunning.

Mizuno MPH4 3 Iron-great club, goes miles, High launching and cheap to pick up. A great purchase (still got one)

Adams pro DHY 18 Degree-like a cheap mans crossover, not for me.

Srixon ZU65 2 Iron-an absolute beast of a club, looks amazing, feels amazing and will stay in my bag for a very long time to come.

I’ve dropped my driver now and use my ZU65 or Cobra 3/4 Hybrid from the tee instead.

Good to hear as I have just bought a Srixon Z U65 3 iron!

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use the Zu65 3 iron and it’s superb, very forgiving too.

I tried a T MB 3 iron with a steel shaft but launch angle was too low, going to a hollow head with a graphite shaft allowed me to get launch angle up. However with it being an iron head, it’s very easy to keep it low if I need to.

I hit hybrids far too high