Drivers long?

jack1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anyone believe that one driver is longer than another with the same swing? If so which is the longest at say 10.5

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No. They are theoretically all the same.

But, only if you hit them all with the perfect launch conditions, which you won't.

So it's which one can be fit to your swing to give you the perfect set of numbers, for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends if you believe the advertising hype. I would suggest if a player was fitted with the optimum shaft etc then they may see an increase in the distance but for the ordinary punter playing with clubs off the shelf at the weekend I doubt there is much if anything to choose

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Not all drivers are born equal, that is for sure. While COR has been maxed out manufactures are trying differing processes to design drivers which have closer to maximum COR across more of the face. The premise being that we mere mortals rarely hit the exact middle (sweet spot) so increase the size of the sweet spot.
It's not just forgiveness of the face, the amount of spin that a driver produces is extremely important. I mentioned the TM Superdeep in the "Clubs that failed" thread. A driver that the pro's wouldn't touch with a barge pole and that even GolfWRX members couldn't hit. It was so low spinning that nobody had the swing speed to get anything meaningful out of it. Conversely, I have owned a few drivers, from Mizuno, Srixon and lately Titleist, which all were far to spinny, resulting in too high a flight and a loss of distance. As someone said earlier the optimum launch characteristics will result in greater distance.
Finally, I get the feeling that shafts get dismissed to easily around here with some claiming that they will have no impact on clubhead speed and consequently distanced. Try playing your driver with a Fujikura X flex Vista Pro and watch your clubhead speed disappear altogether. You might as well put re-bar in there, same stuff and neither flex at all. Alternatively I played a driver with a propriety Speeder 767 X flex earlier this year and it was like a noodle, go figure.
In a nutshell the longest driver only exists in a combination of head, spin, shaft length and flex that is appropriate for you and your swing. Unfortunately you don't know what that combination is.

jack1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok so i hit an oldish tietlist driver 910 d2? Cant remember, which i am happy with. I hit consistent shots. But somtimes i see older, shorter guys hit ping g 400 or callaway epics, surprisingly long

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok so i hit an oldish tietlist driver 910 d2? Cant remember, which i am happy with. I hit consistent shots. But somtimes i see older, shorter guys hit ping g 400 or callaway epics, surprisingly long

Could be their technique not their kit.

Nothing wrong with older clubs, my driver is from 2013 and I doubt I would be much better with a current driver. I cant afford to find out so it’s a moo point.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is mainly about being fitted for a driver (if you can afford it) one of the guys I play with always buys new kit when it comes out and gets fitted. His latest switch from Titleist TS3 to a TSI has gained him about 10 yards and more importantly cut down his dispersion by about 5 degrees on either side.

Main reason for the improvement (IMO) is the shaft.

Looking forward to the next Texas Scramble

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suspect that total distance, from a flushed shot right out of the sweet spot, is not actually that different between drivers from the past 10 years or so. What has improved with modern drivers is the quality and distance of off-centre hits (like the ones we all hit?). This is why most people will see an improvement in their drives

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect that total distance, from a flushed shot right out of the sweet spot, is not actually that different between drivers from the past 10 years or so. What has improved with modern drivers is the quality and distance of off-centre hits (like the ones we all hit?). This is why most people will see an improvement in their drives

My driver is fairly old now, a taylormade r15. Are you aware of any studies / YouTube experiments demonstrating this? I’ve had a look myself and couldn’t see anything.

I need an excuse to get something new and shiny....

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Does anyone believe that one driver is longer than another with the same swing? If so which is the longest at say 10.5

I would say I was longer Nike Ignite 410 than I am with my current Ping G when hit from the screws. That said I'm older and much worse at golf than I was. But the Ping is much more forgiving.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My driver is fairly old now, a taylormade r15. Are you aware of any studies / YouTube experiments demonstrating this? I’ve had a look myself and couldn’t see anything.

I need an excuse to get something new and shiny....

I gained around 10-15 yards moving from an R9 to a M4, similar shaft. 2 mates moved from M4 to SIM and their distances have improved one of them markedly so.

sunshine

Visit site
On this point, modern drivers are miles more advanced from those 6 plus years ago.
Probably 99% of drivers from the past couple of years will hit it longer, and definitely straighter, than a 910.

I had a 910 until recently. I don't think 2020 drivers offer more distance out of the sweet spot, but they definitely help on off-centre hits.

As always, the shaft makes a big difference too.