Drivers in a rush

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I recently opted to attend a Speeding Awareness Course,during a discussion period on things that annoy us this was one topic raised.
Surprising to me ,a professional driver for 50 years,the course director told us that there is no legal requirement to concede right off way even if the obstruction is on your side.
This surprised me.
However I do think it is common courtesy in all things,to acknowledge politeness who ever has right of way.
La Lucha just relax and accept a gesture for what it is,many of my generation in particular find it hard to conform to modern ways.
Dewsweeper

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently opted to attend a Speeding Awareness Course,during a discussion period on things that annoy us this was one topic raised.
Surprising to me ,a professional driver for 50 years,the course director told us that there is no legal requirement to concede right off way even if the obstruction is on your side.
This surprised me.
However I do think it is common courtesy in all things,to acknowledge politeness who ever has right of way.
La Lucha just relax and accept a gesture for what it is,many of my generation in particular find it hard to conform to modern ways.
Dewsweeper

That's very interesting.
I was always taught that you give way if the obstruction is on your side unless you are going downhill, in which case you give way to traffic coming uphill.

I like the little wave of acknowledgement- I think there is so much rudeness on the roads, it's a nice gesture

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We live down a country lane where most of the time it's possible for two cars to pass easily and it really irks me when in the places you can't and you've puled in to let the oncoming car pass they don't acknowledge you. Lorry and tractor drivers always give a quick wave or nod.

C

c1973

We should build all new roads with two lanes either side.
One for fast, competent drivers and the other for doddery incontenent half blind pensioners, wimin and incompetent drivers. Eventually, that way everybody would be happy.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I got beeped and sworn whilst using the outside lane to overtake 10 or so stationary cars in the inside lane waiting at a set of lights. Sat the front of the outside lane queue, then when green moving off relatively swiftly and merging in front of everyone when it goes to one lane 20 metres after the lights.

Slow drivers that don't understand how to drive are worse than faster people! If salmons being a knob behind me i'll just give them plenty of room to overtake if they wish.

Last edited:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got beeped and sworn whilst using the outside lane to overtake 10 or so stationary cars in the inside lane waiting at a set of lights. Sat the front of the outside lane queue, then when green moving off relatively swiftly and merging in front of everyone when it goes to one lane 20 metres after the lights.

Slow drivers that don't understand how to drive are worse than faster people! If salmons being a knob behind me i'll just give them plenty of room to overtake if they wish.

Nothing worse than being tailgated by a fish

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

What do you drive?

Is the outside lane also for going straight on or is it right turn only?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to drive an MG and most other MG drivers would do this little half wave (thumb still on wheel, open hand to display fingers, and close) when they saw another one.
I miss it now I drive a boring old Honda Jazz.

I also do a nod of acknowledgment when a driver stops to let me cross a zebra crossing even though it's what they are meant to do

I get that from Defender drivers when I'm out in the Wolf .................... I like that.
It's reciprocated, of course.

Slime.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This surprised me.
Dewsweeper

Really? From the Highway Code;

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road

Although failure to comply with the other rules of The Highway Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

Ignoring that advice would appear to be a fairly obvious case of driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
BH Monday I was caught in slow traffic and a driver cut in behind me from the wrong lane approaching a roundabout.
She must have tried to bully herself into into a space that was not there so the lorry driver in front/behind her gave a massive blast on his horn.

I did the 'old man looks in rear mirror and slowly shakes head' bit which earned me a rude gesture.
After the roundabout the road has a 50 mph limit. She sits behind me for a 30 seconds then barges across between two cars where there was no space.

As she passed I noticed a 'Child on Board' sign on the rear window.
Poor wee soul.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We should build all new roads with two lanes either side.
One for fast, competent drivers and the other for doddery incontenent half blind pensioners, wimin and incompetent drivers. Eventually, that way everybody would be happy.

Go on ....tell us ....which lane would you be in?

I find drivers are a bit like golfers.........if they tell you they are good, they usually are not.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Really? From the Highway Code;

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road

Although failure to comply with the other rules of The Highway Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

Ignoring that advice would appear to be a fairly obvious case of driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.

My reply was in good faith and was a surprise to me.
Would just ask the question without wanting
to fight,is that a current HCode?
Dewsweeper

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny as I just got overtaken on a single file slip road, OK it was wide enough for 2 cars but it is only single file as no lines down the middle.

I naturally stick to the left and a guy squeezed by in his big audi... 30 seconds later he was undertaking and weaving his way down the motorway... Whats the rush dude?

I often don't think its about rushing. Personally I just enjoy to drive but why undertake? Random?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
My reply was in good faith and was a surprise to me.
Would just ask the question without wanting
to fight,is that a current HCode?
Dewsweeper

My response was one of surprise that someone running the course wouldn't know that this was the case. It wasn't intended to be a knock at you & my apologies if it came across that way. I've heard a lot of things about speed awareness courses and a lot of it concerns me, hence the tone of the response comment.

That Highway Code is the online version as found here;

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code/contents

so I believe it is.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The road outside HID's office is on a roundabout and single file but you get idiots in the right hand lane and instead of going right on the roundabout try and go straight on and squeeze into the waiting line. Most just shuffle bumper to bumper and leave them stewing

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My response was one of surprise that someone running the course wouldn't know that this was the case. It wasn't intended to be a knock at you & my apologies if it came across that way. I've heard a lot of things about speed awareness courses and a lot of it concerns me, hence the tone of the response comment.

That Highway Code is the online version as found here;

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code/contents

so I believe it is.

Thanks.
I was quite impressed with the course but I presume they vary in different parts of the country.
Dewsweeper

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slighty on a tangent, but if you're driving along and a car is parked on your side of the road, you have to wait for oncoming vehicles to pass before you pull out around the parked car. Do you expect the oncoming vehicles to thank you for waiting and if so why?

I don't nor do I wave when driving past. For this reason, if a car is blocking my side of the road that is my problem, I am not letting you past, you have right of way. When there isn't a parked car I don't wave at every passing vehicle thanking them for staying on their side of the road and don't expect them to do it back.

I appreciate that a wave is only a small gesture and easy to do, but I really don't see the need. People have just come to expect it.
As this is not law but a courtesy I expect a driver to thank me for letting him through