Driver woes

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
After eventually getting to grips with my driver, it's taken me about 4 years!!! I've upgraded the hippo hex2 to a smashing new callaway ft-9 draw 11 degree. The first three hits on the range were great smashing it it into the net at the bottom of the range. After that practically every shot is a fade or power fade or huge slice, it does however get airborne alot easier.

Now the new driver is a draw version, the face isn't closed but has "web weighting" on the sole. I have noticed that the shaft is about an inch shorter. The shaft is a funhouse zcom 60 t45 regular, could this be the problem?

I know it's probably a bit vague and to make matters worse the old one is still smashing it long and straight 80% of the time!

Thanks for any input

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A funhouse shaft? Sounds like a bit of a laugh. Most of these come with Fujikura shafts, which are identical only pretty serious, but that spec is not terribly stiff.

It is often assumed that slices happen if the club is too stiff but that can happen with a shaft that it too soft also. If you have hit the net at the bottom of the range, then assuming it is at least 230 yards away, you get a decent hit on the ball. I would therefore wonder of the shaft is too soft.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Damn you auto spell!! Fujikura is correct!! I'm No big hitter by any means just my driving has just clicked my hippo is a Mitsubishi rayon 65g 3.5 with a mid kick point. Oh and yes the range is 225 or 250 yds. I've also just looked and the difference in shaft length is actually about half an inch.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because we all like new shiny things!! But yes looking back it was probably a little stupid but its only cost me £50 as per my post a few weeks ago.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well after working on the range I finally worked out I was standing too close. With my old driver I got my best results by not reaching for the ball with my arms hanging naturally. Tonight after tinkering the beat and most consistant hits with the callaway were back to reaching again, not too much but alot more than the old one! Eureka! Even got to hit a few draws! Good job as the fade had started to creep into the old hippo too!

Just nee to sort the 5i now!

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone have any ideas, I tend to swing with a 3/4 swing as if I go full on it really does gobany where.

Just swing within yourself, dont try to nail it just let the club do the work for you.

Our old pro use to have a sign above his door saying " Swing slow for the big blow "

Just try it and see.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
def agree with that, a nice easy strike and boom, try and put some juice on it and it's anywhere! After thinking I had got my head around the callaway it didn't want to play at the weekend! Ah well back to the range!