Driver vs Hybrid off the tee?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is often about the course and your own ability. When I was much younger there were no woods in the bag and all tee shots were taken with a 1 iron mainly because I used to hit 220 to 240 with it and that is all that is needed where I play.

These days the driver gets used a lot more simply because a modern driver is far easier to hit than a a long iron it still does not get used on the shorter par 4s most days.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm feeling more and more like a former player these days, but for as long as I can remember, I had to see wide open spaces to hit driver.

If I knew that I wasn't trying to steer my shot to keep it in play and could just take a relaxed shot with near impunity, chances of a mishit with driver were greatly reduced.

If I had the least bit of trepidation as to the size of the landing area vis a vis my likely shot distribution with driver, I'd go to an alternate club without so much as a second thought.

This was generally a useful policy.

Diamond

Visit site
I've not taken the driver out the bag for the last 4 or 5 rounds, been hitting my 4 or 5 hybrid instead. My scoring has been a lot better simply because the hybrid tends to go straight. A bad drive at our place invariably means you are in the trees, if you are lucky enough to find it.

I'm actually just hitting it off the ground rather than teeing it up. I probably should do that, but at the moment I don't want to change something which is working well.

My mate said I should do that as my Rogue 4 Hybrid is consistent off the fairway. I am putting a red tee down and you are spot on straight, position A and good lie.

Hackers76

Visit site
Love my hybrids off the tee, I tend to use it off the tee for any par 4’s less than 350 yards. Anything longer will be driver as long as it suits my shape and eye

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Where does it show on the card what you used? Get it round as best you can on the day. If you aren't getting it off the tee well, drop down. If you are in play but can't hit the irons (me today) use the strokes and get it into a position where you can pitch on simply and two putt for bogey (net par on most holes for me). I think course management is important but so is understanding what you have on the day and use what you have or don't have efficiently