Driver tee height

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What height do you use for your driver?

I used to use pink castle then switched to orange / silver

I know use wooden tees but I feel I’m teeing up too low and ending up striking it on the downswing meaning I’m currently ballooning up and killing distance

What height do people use and do you mark your tees up so you can constantly tee the same

AdamC28

Visit site
I use the PTS pro wooden tees, pushed in so the coloured band disappears.
Recently switched from the Pro length (yellow) to the Pro length plus (blue) and found the extra height really helps me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the orange castle ones. I used to use pink castles with my old driver (which was set to 12°), the new driver is set to 11° and the higher orange works seemed to work better when I tried them. I very occasionally sky one but generally it's a good height to hit up on the ball nicely.

For all the other clubs I just have the short ordinary plastic tees since you can vary the height and they go in the ground easily, being shorter.

I would never get wooden tees, you must go through a bag of them a month with all the breakages, whereas a bag of plastic ones lasts me 18 months to two years.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The tall white ones, ball half way above the driver top line.

Bumpy ground can mean other ways of measuring height can be unreliable, better to measure fresh each time.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I use the orange castle ones. I used to use pink castles with my old driver (which was set to 12°), the new driver is set to 11° and the higher orange works seemed to work better when I tried them. I very occasionally sky one but generally it's a good height to hit up on the ball nicely.

For all the other clubs I just have the short ordinary plastic tees since you can vary the height and they go in the ground easily, being shorter.

I would never get wooden tees, you must go through a bag of them a month with all the breakages, whereas a bag of plastic ones lasts me 18 months to two years.
I’m not sure tee costs enters many people’s minds when playing a sport as expensive as golf can be.

I bought 1000 wooden of ebay for £7. Even if all of them break with one hit I’ll get 55 rounds. I can live with that.

In regards to tee height. It depends on conditions. Usually I’ll have it just slightly lower than an orange tee, but I to wind I’ll have it lower and try to sweep/hit it as level as possible to keep it lower without hitting down on it and adding spin.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends on the shot I am trying to achieve and from what I am playing.

For a grassed tee and a 'standard' tee I use 70 mm tees (plastic or wooden) ball teed to fractionally below half the ball above the top of the driver.

For artificial mats it's a pink castle tee. (the castles stay upright better on mats).

For a low 'driven' tee shot I normally stick with the pink tee but play it marginally back in the stance compared to my normal ball position.

To get a standard height I use my index finger when it touches the ground I know the tee is in the ground as far as I want it to be. Quick check against the club face and the majority of the time it is right.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You would be surprised

I got given a bag of wooden tees in June. I still have over half a bag left .. I been using them ever since. I find a tee lasts 5-6 tee shots

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
over the winter i have been using the orange castle, but once we are back on the full course, pick up a handful of free wooden ones on the first tee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure tee costs enters many people’s minds when playing a sport as expensive as golf can be.

I bought 1000 wooden of ebay for £7. Even if all of them break with one hit I’ll get 55 rounds. I can live with that.

In regards to tee height. It depends on conditions. Usually I’ll have it just slightly lower than an orange tee, but I to wind I’ll have it lower and try to sweep/hit it as level as possible to keep it lower without hitting down on it and adding spin.
I didn't say anything about cost? It's just a pain in the arse when they snap all the time, having to get new ones out. With plastic ones I can just put one of each height in my pocket and they're usually good for the whole round except for the rare event that I can't see where it went.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't say anything about cost? It's just a pain in the arse when they snap all the time, having to get new ones out. With plastic ones I can just put one of each height in my pocket and they're usually good for the whole round except for the rare event that I can't see where it went.

Before each round I’ll put 5 long tees and 2 red plastic tees in my pocket to cover all shots

Thinking of putting a blue one in for woods off the tee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You would be surprised

I got given a bag of wooden tees in June. I still have over half a bag left .. I been using them ever since. I find a tee lasts 5-6 tee shots
Well there you go - a plastic one almost never breaks, the worst case is that you didn't see where it landed and you lose one.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well there you go - a plastic one almost never breaks, the worst case is that you didn't see where it landed and you lose one.

I was told once that where a tee breaks can help you analyse what’s wrong with your swing, if you smash it in half your too far under the ball I believe as you hit more tee than ball

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just started using 3.25 inch wooden tees (the white ones with a blue band on them). Find I'm striking the ball really well at that height. Used to tee it much lower.

As to claims about plastic tees not breaking - normally I'd agree but l recently bought a bag of yellow castle tees (to use with a 3wood of the winter tee mats). Every one of them breaks after a couple of hits. Never known the like of it