Driver swing- your thoughts

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Overswinging a fair bit, left arm collapses at the very top and I think you are coming over the top a bit as you start your downswing.

I'll be surprised if the shot wasnt a fade or even a slice as it looks like you cut across it.

Hard to tell but your thumb on your right hand looks in the wrong place at address, like its going straight down the shaft. Best to get a pro to check it or compare your grip with many illustrations online.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Overswinging a fair bit, left arm collapses at the very top and I think you are coming over the top a bit as you start your downswing.

I'll be surprised if the shot wasnt a fade or even a slice as it looks like you cut across it.

Hard to tell but your thumb on your right hand looks in the wrong place at address, like its going straight down the shaft. Best to get a pro to check it or compare your grip with many illustrations online.

Yeah shot was a slice. i knew about the overswing, left arm and coming over the top. this video is a couple months old so i have worked on these but have been unable to get a new video recorded yet.

And i checked my grip i do put the right thumb striaght down the shaft, ive never noticed it before. Have done a bit of reading on it and it seem that it may lead t me coming over the top ill need to work on that.

I do go to a pro just need to rebook in for a lesson in the next few weeks to see how things are going since the last lesson.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You need some spine tilt at address (and at impact)

Your head (upper body) is moving towards the target in your downswing..... don't let it, and you'll hit the ball better.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
About 10/12 degrees at setup and 20/25 degrees at impact (with a driver)

Here's your impact compared to the swing 'model' on the right

The red line is his spine tilt... the green lines represent how far the hands are in front (more targetwards) of his nose.

2dvyorV.gif

Your 'IMPACT HANDS' aren't even at his ADDRESS position ... and neither is your spine tilt :thup:

Last edited:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
About 10/12 degrees at setup and 20/25 degrees at impact (with a driver)

Here's your impact compared to the swing 'model' on the right

The red line is his spine tilt... the green lines represent how far the hands are in front (more targetwards) of his nose.

2dvyorV.gif

Your 'IMPACT HANDS' aren't even at his ADDRESS position ... and neither is your spine tilt :thup:

Ok thanks JO, so you say I'll hit the ball better. Do you mean just contact wise or a better flight? I.e. a more controled fade/straighter

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
There's a correct way to hit the ball and there's a wrong way. I'm trying to show you the correct way.

It's better to swing correctly and then tweak it rather than trying to tweak something that is wrong.

With correct impact you should hit the ball more solid (further, with better launch characteristics) The SHAPE that the ball goes depends on what you're doing with your club face and your swing path at impact.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a correct way to hit the ball and there's a wrong way. I'm trying to show you the correct way.

It's better to swing correctly and then tweak it rather than trying to tweak something that is wrong.

With correct impact you should hit the ball more solid (further, with better launch characteristics) The SHAPE that the ball goes depends on what you're doing with your club face and your swing path at impact.

Okie dokie, thanks alot JO. Am i coming over the top cos I dont have enough spine tilt or is something else causing that?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Okie dokie, thanks alot JO. Am i coming over the top cos I dont have enough spine tilt or is something else causing that?

Having more spine tilt (keeping your head back whilst your hands swing past) will help... it's almost impossible to swing over the top if you have (and keep) spine tilt :thup:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah shot was a slice. i knew about the overswing, left arm and coming over the top. this video is a couple months old so i have worked on these but have been unable to get a new video recorded yet.

And i checked my grip i do put the right thumb striaght down the shaft, ive never noticed it before. Have done a bit of reading on it and it seem that it may lead t me coming over the top ill need to work on that.

I do go to a pro just need to rebook in for a lesson in the next few weeks to see how things are going since the last lesson.

I mentioned the grip because the sooner you get that put right the better. Get the grip correct then build from there. IMO you will get the biggest pay back in the long run by acquiring a good grip and sticking with it.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a wee up date after trying out the suggestions today.

I was unable to get to the practice area as it was in use, but played 8 holes things started of alrite. The grip felt better although I could feel my right thumb trying to get back over the top of the grip during the swing but over time it was becoming more natural. The feel is much better and as with all changes will take time.

As with the spine tilt I certainly was able to get more at address and the feeling was that it was still there at impact. Possibly not as much as would be liked but more than previously.

Overall contact was much better. In the 8 holes played and with multiple drives played off most teas I only sliced once and that was an off the toe hit. Flight was much better either a slight fade or straight. Using my garmin S1 most drives measuring at about 200-220 ish range. With one drive measuring 250.

So overall much improvement after first implementing just need to get the changes more consitant now. Thanks again JustOne and sawtooth for the advice that so far seems to have improved my game.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Small steps mate.... no one became a pro in one day, just keep practicing the correct things.... and if you're not doing them properly... do them again!! :thup:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The grip felt better although I could feel my right thumb trying to get back over the top of the grip during the swing but over time it was becoming more natural. .

Dont be put off Gareth, grip changes especially significant ones will feel weird and horrible to start with. Thats because there is nothing instinctive about holding the club properly.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont be put off Gareth, grip changes especially significant ones will feel weird and horrible to start with. Thats because there is nothing instinctive about holding the club properly.

yeah ill keep working on it. Everytime i walk passed the clubs in the house i pick one up and set in the new grip. It's not that akward its just remebering to move the thumb across. It will come in time just a process.

I used it when chipping as well felt like better control.