Driver spin

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to try the new Mizuno drivers yesterday.
It was very interesting nice product.
The lesson for me though was the spin numbers.
I was struggling to get over 2000 rpm. I started at 1600 rpm.
My carry was massively impacted. Loft was increased and that improved it, shafts changed and they made a minor impact.
I managed to up it a little through delivery but honestly speaking I was shattered after 150 balls!
Suffice to say, the Mizuno is not for me, as are any of the low spinning heads. I will up the loft on my callaway rogue, possibly increase the rear weight plug and see if I can get a few more hundred revs.
I may try a higher tee, as we could not see my impact position although smash factor was 1.48-1.51. I don’t vary my strike position.. small driver heads suit me.
I then may take a lesson if I cannot get to a comfortable situation ?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If your spinning as low as that I'd be trying one of the max from taylormade, callaway or even the g400max, a ts1 or 2 or a ping g410 plus. That's not a controllable amount of spin your getting, drivers can only do so much without changing how you deliver the driver. Youd likely benefit more from learning why your spinning it so low rather than changing club, the problem is there regardless of what club your using and also technology hasn't really moved on since rogue

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I went to try the new Mizuno drivers yesterday.
It was very interesting nice product.
The lesson for me though was the spin numbers.
I was struggling to get over 2000 rpm. I started at 1600 rpm.
My carry was massively impacted. Loft was increased and that improved it, shafts changed and they made a minor impact.
I managed to up it a little through delivery but honestly speaking I was shattered after 150 balls!
Suffice to say, the Mizuno is not for me, as are any of the low spinning heads. I will up the loft on my callaway rogue, possibly increase the rear weight plug and see if I can get a few more hundred revs.
I may try a higher tee, as we could not see my impact position although smash factor was 1.48-1.51. I don’t vary my strike position.. small driver heads suit me.
I then may take a lesson if I cannot get to a comfortable situation ?

But....but....

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What clubhead speed are you putting on these shots?

Do you know you AoA?
Mid 90’s mph, which is out of line with my irons but it is what it is.
AoA was around -1.5 to 0 .. I did manage to get to +1 but that promoted a cut, which isn’t acceptable unless I was a left handed.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As he's mentioned on here a lot at the moment, interesting Crossfield video here regarding low spin drivers
I did watch his other video, as part of my research .. every one is more concerned with taking spin off not adding it.
Fitter said to me that I was unique in that I could produce a change consistently but both would be 500rpms away from ideal, for two flights.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But....but....
Yup ... they only change with kick point and feel.
Given that all the grips were away from my mid non tapers the club head swing weight was a little off so I could not get any consistency.. which means making a choice is nearly impossible

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely an improvement with the loft set at 11 degrees neutral (shaft and grip all messed up though ?) the weight lug was already increased to 9grams. Flight was higher and distance was as good as it will ever get. Golf ball is okay offering up more driver spin according to test data than the pro vx.