Driver Shaft question.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why not buy a Project x 7C3 Shaft if you want the lower flight with adaptor already fitted?

their shafts that carry no upcharge are still £100 from cobra, so anything that carries an upcharge is in the region of £200+..... some of the exotics are alot more. it would be so much cheaper to find the shaft that works, then getting an adaptor and having built away from cobra. I have a great club builder local who will fit a shaft to FCT sleeve for around a tenner, so if we say £30.00 + shaft cost, i will get alot better deal this way.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
paddy, i dont think it is a flaw with the swing, maybe a touch on irons, but my 3w and hybrid are spot on, whats more its very common for playing partners to comment " oh another one down the middle baz.... " so i cant see it being a fault. ive tried different tee heights, different ball positions, but no matter what the more i go at one, the more the ball balloons.

the complete situ is i play with another guy on a regular basis who has alot slower swing speed than me and is generally down on all iron distances, at best we are equal with irons, now he is using a amp in 10.5 reg, im using 9.5 stiff and the harder i go at one the higher the flight, and more importantly the shorter it is. looking at the face everything is coming clean out the middle with the very odd one low and heely, so i dont thing its an impact fault, im convinced that the issue is coming from me overworking the shaft. when i was fitted the shaft was working fine, but i think my ss and tempo has increased and now the shaft just isnt up to its job. most people would happy with my current driving, but the fact is i know that if i can get that flight down, its going to pay in the long term, my course is far too windy to be able to rock up with a high ball flight, the ball can move 20 yards plus in the wind..... and our rough is so punishing thats the difference between losing a ball in the clagg, or having a shot at the green from the middle of the fairway, i suppose its just a case of trying a few shafts to get this flight down.

prolaunch red could be the way to go,

what you discribe sounds like you are hitting down on the ball slightly. I had the same problem which started when my iron play improved. I was stright down the middle but the ball was balloning esp when ever i gave it a bit more. try keeping your weight on your right side for longer, which will help you hit up and though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tried both loading front foot and back foot, cue red arrow display team.

front foot is a def no no with a driver unless you want to hit some sort of shape perhaps.

get someone to film you or some who knows what they are doing take a look at your swing with the driver. Cheaper than buggering a round with diff shafts. esp if it worked before.

good luck and try not to spend too much :)

A

Alex1975

Spending too much is not an option, range session early doors tomorrow and I'll see where we are from there. If not its shaft shopping!

Cool, ready for an update when you have finished at the range....:)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So, I’m back from the fitters complete with an update. I was lucky enough that on arrival the fitter had found an additional shaft fitted with cobra sleeve, so now on the table to try I had my stock 55g rip, the planned 65g stiff rip, and now a new contender, a Genuine not made for Motore F1 65g stiff.

So off I trundle to the range and after a few 6irons to warm up its out with the big dog in its current 55g glory. Taking note of possible swing faults I was very aware of ball position and where I was connecting with the ball, but as per the normal, any I felt that I went after were just ballooning up to roughly 60ft high… which is just stupid. So after 10 balls with this, it’s onto the other shafts.

The rip 65, straight away the ball flight was lower, by at least 10-15ft, and dispersion was still good, but like the rip fitted if I went after any up they spin and climb to the sky with next to no roll, approx. carry was around 200 with my stocker, and around 210 ish with this, so straight away I know im moving in the right direction.

Now the Motore F1. Not a shaft I’m familiar with and my first notice was that it was about ½” shorter than the stock rips. A few swishes which felt really nice and BANG…. Whoooohooooo baby! The flight was as penetrating as the 910 but boy was this long. Still in the sky over where the 65g stiff rip was landing and pitching into the trees which were approx. 235yards according to others using the range. I spent the next half hour swapping back and forth between the 3 but all 3 times the Motore f1 was shining.

I got back to the pro shop and started negotiations to find that through cobra this shaft was going to cost an arm, leg and part of my retirement fund when out of nowhere I spot another shaft in the fitting cart… a pro launch red. Having dismissed the rip 65g, it was back to the range with the prelaunch and motore for round 2.

After a few balls with the prelaunch it was obvious that even the ones I felt I really got hold of were only as long as the 65g stiff, but the flight was equal or slightly lower than the f1, but it was getting almost too low, another bucket of balls later and its confirmed… Motore F1.

So back to the shop, so negotiations between the manager, the rep for cobra, and myself and I now have a lovely new engine behind my AMP head that I reckon is giving at least 25 yards more carry and a better flight. Whats more the assistant even popped the grip off and added the required amount of tape so it’s ready to go. Now how I thought the day was going to go, but boy o boy am I over the moon with the outcome, and for less money than 2 doz prov1’s

Happy as a dog with two dooda’s at the moment let me tell ya.:clap::clap:

on a side note a big thanks to all that provided imput on this subject, especially ethan,.:thup:

A

Alex1975

Awesome news and sounds like it was fun. I really think a propper shaft in a driver pays for its self and by the sounds of it already has with a big smile.

Did you part X the old shaft or did they not want it?

An extra 10 grams and a higher kick point seems to be exactly what you needed. As I was reading your post I was thinking the outcome was going to be a totally new driver and thought you were going to say that you had worked out the head was just too spinney for you but nope, shaft is king!

Congrats, ill grab a go at Blackmoor if there is a range and time!:fore:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've kept my old shaft with the theory that if I upgrade big dogs in the future I already have my shaft! The amp head is awesome and very explosive I just needed to match it to a strong stable shaft. If I'm at blackmoor your welcome to have a slap!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well first time out on the course today and the proof was in the pudding!

£55.00 cash in the swindle with best back 9 and best overal, only 1 point out from a clean sweep...... And I'm sure there is more to come! :thup: