Driver Shaft question.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
today while having a knock i decided to demo a 910/d3 that our pro shop is clearing out. Now as some know i was custom fitted for the AMP but i wanted to check the d3 to compare shafts and also see how i got on with the smaller head, im not suffering with the ballooning like i was with the burner, but my ball flight is still a little high than i would like..

My current AMP is 9.5/S fitted with stock Rip 55g Stff (although they have now added a 65g stiff option online too). according to cobra this is a mid kick mid torque shaft.
http://www.cobragolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/2012-cobra-amp-driver

The D3 was 9.5 stiff set to stock (A2) and was fitted with a kali 65 (64g) stiff shaft. according to cobra this is a mid kick mid torque shaft also.
http://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-clubs/drivers/910D3.aspx

now the best be, if i really crack the amp and gave it everything, the flight would be higher than what i wanted but would still go a fair way, the d3 right out the strews would only be the same length but would fly at a much better height, which was alot more controlable around a windy course. my question is would the better flight come from the shaft, being that bit heavier.... or could it be from the smaller 440 head instead of the 460 on the amp.

my thinking is i know im losing distance with the amp still climbing in the wind, but if i could find a shaft than flew the ball at the same flight as the kali, i could have a serious weapon on my hands.:thup:

A

Alex1975

Its both... well its both head and shaft but not head size. The D3 is a mid low head (not cos its smaller its just how its designed/weighted) and the heavier shaft will also keep the ball down. I know a little about shafts but am not totally clear in my own head about weight. So D3 mid low head, kailli mid shaft = mid/low flight. I guess the 55g shaft is a little floaty even with the mid kick point.

What what the difference in feel Cobra to Titleist?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
You know, it's funy you post this.

Recently I was having a discussion with our resident shaft expert regarding the Fubuki in the Mizuno MP range.

With all my woods, be it the driver right down to the hybrid I get a low penetrating flight that I like, I just wish it was a touch (Not much ) higher.

After speaking to Ethan, he advised that the Fubuki is as close as makes no difference to the "real" Fubuki, it's even the same colour. He also advised that it is a little more tip stiff than the "real" version.

Ideally I'm looking for a shaft pretty much the same, but not as tip stiff to give a little higher flight.

Thing is, I like the shaft and feel swapping for something so minor is not really worth it.

Not the same situation as you, but the change may be so minor, does it make it worth it??

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if im honest i felt ive always loved the feel off the face on the amp, but heres what shocked me.

drives with the amo that i would rate as 85/90% would be high and floaty but still long, drives with the d3 that i would say were sunday bests, no chance of me hitting better would be level or past by 1/2 yards, but the flight of the d3 was so much lower. now given that i could feel the difference between a 100% strike with the d3, and a 80/90%,. i know i was comparing like for like shots, both with same brand/model ball, but all all occasions when i thought the d3 was an absolute peach, it still wasnt as long carry as the amp. this would indicate to me that the amp in general is a more powerfull club, but jesus, if i could get the flight down on the amp to that of the d3, if i did gain atleast 15 yards, id be very shocked.

the only downside with the amp is it is majorly effected by wind, i want that d3 flight!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the D3, A1 is stock. A2 is standard loft but 1.5 degrees more upright, so 2 x extra draw.

The Kaili is a good medium trajectory shaft, and although the 910 version is a 'made for', it is a good one. The RIP in the Cobra is, in my opinion, not as good a quality shaft.

The D3 is also a deeper face club and is designed for a lower more workable flight. Good club, and should be some deals going now that the 913 is imminent. 910 and 913 shafts will be interchangeable.

The new Diamana D+ shaft (basically the next generation Kaili) is a lovely feeling shaft too, so if Santa is planning to be generous, could wait for a 913 with that.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
gareth, i agree in principle that that the change will be very minor. The issue lies that my course is up on surrey downs and effectively plays like a link course, wind up there gets mega. Now the d3 was no longer than the amp, but i found the shaft in it gave a more wind friendly flight, and was more controlable in the wind, onces the ball left the amp it was in the hands of mother nature, and it would move 15-20 yards off line depending on the wind, but the flight of the d3 allowed me to take the wind on head first with next to no ball movement.

if i could get that control with the amp, as well as being able to play mother nature at her own game, i know with how my ball lands i would gain distance and control, which is win win and yes.... in my eyes enough to make a difference.

its funny how the 55g stiff was the only stiff available at the time of getting the amp, yet they have now added a 65g low flight stiff as an option, its almost as if AMP/Cobra have seen what i only found out today,.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the D3, A1 is stock. A2 is standard loft but 1.5 degrees more upright, so 2 x extra draw.

The Kaili is a good medium trajectory shaft, and although the 910 version is a 'made for', it is a good one. The RIP in the Cobra is, in my opinion, not as good a quality shaft.

The D3 is also a deeper face club and is designed for a lower more workable flight. Good club, and should be some deals going now that the 913 is imminent. 910 and 913 shafts will be interchangeable.

The new Diamana D+ shaft (basically the next generation Kaili) is a lovely feeling shaft too, so if Santa is planning to be generous, could wait for a 913 with that.

thanks for the resposne ethan, i can have the d3 at a very reasonable price, but in my opinion im not gaining anything from the d3 other than a lower flight, the overal length is the same, ..... now.... if i could get that same flight in the amp head i would be bubba long and low....

ive managed to find a shop not to far from me that has the cobra rip in a 65g stiff i can demo back to back against mine so im off there tomorrow for a slap, in your opinion is there any other shafts out there which i should be looking to try, again with pretty much the sole aim of lowering flight.

thanks in advance. baz.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am really liking my grafalloy pro launch red. Shafts don't get much lower launching than this. If you hit this one high, you have a major swing fault. Cheap too.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its funny as when i suggested this shaft to the pro who i demo'd the d3 off, he's face pulled a nasty expression, i assumed this was because it wouldnt have meant a sale.

what spec you gaming murph, more importantly, if i play blackmoor any chance of a wack please mister. ;)

Cobra uk state FCT/AFT sleeves are not available, but ive found a company selling in the US so may just buy a few adaptors and have a play.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
910 d3 set to a1. If you get a chance at blackmore, feel free to have a pop. Not sure what the opportunities there are though. 9,5 degree, and the shaft is stiff.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the problem lies murph, that the FCT sleeve for the AMP is a 0.350, and the only prolaunch's i can find are 0.335, im assuming the pro launch is to small at the tip....

A

Alex1975

but, £22.00 on an adaptor plus £50.00 on a shaft could give me d3 flight with monster distance increase (needs evil smiley)

Oh for sure, did not even see that... I was looking at the Titleist adaptors that I have seen cheaper on ebay...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Barry old boy, could it be a swing floor?

You could be hitting down on the ball slightly, had the same problem myself at the start of the season.

if not, Prolaunch red could be just the ticket, i've one of the new speed coat models 60g i think low and good run on it to boot.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
paddy, i dont think it is a flaw with the swing, maybe a touch on irons, but my 3w and hybrid are spot on, whats more its very common for playing partners to comment " oh another one down the middle baz.... " so i cant see it being a fault. ive tried different tee heights, different ball positions, but no matter what the more i go at one, the more the ball balloons.

the complete situ is i play with another guy on a regular basis who has alot slower swing speed than me and is generally down on all iron distances, at best we are equal with irons, now he is using a amp in 10.5 reg, im using 9.5 stiff and the harder i go at one the higher the flight, and more importantly the shorter it is. looking at the face everything is coming clean out the middle with the very odd one low and heely, so i dont thing its an impact fault, im convinced that the issue is coming from me overworking the shaft. when i was fitted the shaft was working fine, but i think my ss and tempo has increased and now the shaft just isnt up to its job. most people would happy with my current driving, but the fact is i know that if i can get that flight down, its going to pay in the long term, my course is far too windy to be able to rock up with a high ball flight, the ball can move 20 yards plus in the wind..... and our rough is so punishing thats the difference between losing a ball in the clagg, or having a shot at the green from the middle of the fairway, i suppose its just a case of trying a few shafts to get this flight down.

prolaunch red could be the way to go,