Driver shaft question...............

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it possible to change the shaft on a driver for a shorter one? I find that whenever I hold a 3wood or driver it feels like I have no control over it. I have put this down to the length of the clubs. Would it be possible to shorten it? Is it simple enough to fit a shaft from a hybrid type club? Would this cause any issues? Any ideas much appreciated!!

Mike

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Yes its possible..........buy you'll get nowhere I'll bet. Why have you put it down to the lenght of the club. Do you feel like no control or are you looking for more than you're capable of. A shaft, the length of say a hybrid, fitted with a driver head would hardly get the ball airborne as the swing speed would be slower.

You can get your driver shaft shortened but if you go too much then the characteristics and stiffness will change.

I think you have issues that are not uncommon, but you need to get them sorted rather than a drastic shortening of the shaft.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Shortening the shaft will give you more control but only if you knock off an inch or so. I am with Tommo21 on this one and would steer clear. Shafts designed for drivers are different from those on your hybrids. If you manage to create the frankenclub let us know how it goes (or doesn't)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can shorten a driver shaft. But dont go shorter than 44" measured from the floor. Sole of the club to the top of the handle, 44" overall. Prop the driver at a 60* angle before you measure. This is really the shortest you can go without changing the way the shaft acts, but bear in mind it will alter the swing weight of the club.

If you have no control its your swing not the club that needs looking at.

Last edited: