Driver progress (Swing Video Included)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Good evening ladies and gents.

Literally just back from the range and looking for opinion/criticism/advise that I can only get on this forum :D ...... or my pro :)

I've been working on my driver for the last few weeks, mainly on the getting the club face square at impact as I feel that this is where 90%, if not all my driving issues are.

My stock shot with a driver is a gentle fade, however this has lapsed into a push and lately a big, big slice.

I've been to the range tonight to work on getting the club face square at impact and thought I'd video it for critique on here.

Anywho, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3iQcztdPE

As always any thoughts/opinions/criticisms are gratefully appreciated.

Muchos Kudos in advance.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi
a few points if I may.
1. sack the cameraman/woman
2. Feet point to the right but shoulders square so not too bothered about that.
3. Ball position on the clubface, very close to the shaft
4. slight throw at the top

If your happy with the fade, I would stand an inch further away from the ball to get it lined up with the sweet spot which will help to reduce the fade due to the gear effect.
If you want to hit it straight, I suggest the sponge drill

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi
a few points if I may.
1. sack the cameraman/woman
2. Feet point to the right but shoulders square so not too bothered about that.
3. Ball position on the clubface, very close to the shaft
4. slight throw at the top

If your happy with the fade, I would stand an inch further away from the ball to get it lined up with the sweet spot which will help to reduce the fade due to the gear effect.
If you want to hit it straight, I suggest the sponge drill

Thanks Bob.

I had to balance the camera on my bag as I had the range to myself so I didn't realise that I'd decapitated myself :D

I can see what you mean about my feet pointing right. I thought I was lined up O.K before I hit the shot, obviously not! Time to get the tour stick out again.

I'll try what you suggest about lining up the club head with the sweet spot and standing a touch further back and see how I go on.

Much appreciated as always Bob.

www.stores.ebay.co.uk
Gareth,

Good morning. I'm Ivan. As a master club builder I build no clubs other than custom drivers, I teach advance driving techniques, and compete internationally at longdrive golf. In other words golf driving is my life / business.

I include here a link to where I explained the basic elements of good driving technique in the hope that there may be something there that helps:

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/8644/Leaving_the_driver_out_of_the_bag.html

Very briefly in order to sort yourself out your coiling needs to be improved and you need a better coil release via an inside line of attack, instead of your armsy swing which is fanning the driver head across the ball and causing your problem.

Good luck!

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
First thought the headless vid was an improvement :p ... That swing is coming on really nicely. Good tempo and timing. Just a bit out to in on the downswing. But as I said nice swing.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks Dave.

It's still very much a work in progress but, after Bobs insight, I'm sure I'll get on the right track.

I'm going to do as Bob suggests over the weekend and try and work on my alignment. Hopefuly see some results.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Gareth,

Good morning. I'm Ivan. As a master club builder I build no clubs other than custom drivers, I teach advance driving techniques, and compete internationally at longdrive golf. In other words golf driving is my life / business.

I include here a link to where I explained the basic elements of good driving technique in the hope that there may be something there that helps:

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/8644/Leaving_the_driver_out_of_the_bag.html

Very briefly in order to sort yourself out your coiling needs to be improved and you need a better coil release via an inside line of attack, instead of your armsy swing which is fanning the driver head across the ball and causing your problem.

Good luck!

I read your stuff on golfshake and watched the Hogan clip with great interest. One or two bits, particularly the right shoulder action through impact, interests me and will get to try the feeling when I get to the range. As a reasonable hitter with a slight OTT move I am keen to get a more inside track with the driver

Cheers

Chris

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
take my comments with a pinch of salt, being a 16 handicapper.... :)

i think your swing plane is causing the slight across the ball fade shot

its been mentioned before that you backswing plane is slightly flat, no bad thing,

Though for me your follow through is the opposite, higher than normal hands with the shaft down your back,
i'm thinking your swing starts as a on more rounded plane but then becomes a more steeper upright plane through the hitting area and follow through. I think If you could maintain the same more rounded swing plane throughout your swing you'd hit it straighter and more consistently...?

Last edited: