Driver problems and pro lessons

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Real and feel?
You may feel it's forward 3 inches whereas it may only be an inch or 2.
Get someone to confirm where the ball really is.
I'd bet £1 it's not as far forward as you think.
If I'm wrong, it may be you're reaching for it.
Try and stay centred and feel the clubhead going passed you.

Here's a video of an old man changing ball position and staying behind it...

Lovely swing Bob 😀

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Lovely swing Bob 😀
Thank you.
Did you spot the fact that I used the same tee for both shots?
No adjustments made to the driver (Ping G5)
But my right foot did move out a few inches for the second shot, which moves the ball forward for the higher, down wind shots.

One thing I did notice when playing pro events, all the young guys hit their drivers with the same high ball flight, even against the wind.
It seems the ability to change the ball flight height is being lost.
And not just with the driver.....

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you.
But my right foot did move out a few inches for the second shot, which moves the ball forward for the higher, down wind shots.

One thing I did notice when playing pro events, all the young guys hit their drivers with the same high ball flight, even against the wind.

That was an observation I had when I played a few scratch and plus handicappers .. I wondered though was it because of the local geography and them not playing the wind swept beach courses.
On a calm day they are hitting it miles with a driver, but into a breeze or a cross wind their game is compromised.
But also on the lofted irons these guys were just hitting hard and 1-2more club and still fluffing it up into the wind. Not one opted for a gentle low spin shot

HPIMG

Visit site
Hang on, you hit your 3w 250-260 and after 4 lessons you’re beating your handicap 9 times out of 10, that pro must be working wonders with the rest of your game!
While I’d also not want to upset him because you really are into a good thing with someone who can get you beating your handicap 90% of the time, I would be honest with him and at the next lesson just say “I’d like to work on driver this week”.
I’ve been beating my handicap pretty consistently for a while now, last cards I put in were September last year and I’ve been improving steadily. Pro said I should be scratch by just looking at my irons, he’s never seen me put or chip but my short games probably my strongest bit.
Just finished playing with a +1 this morning and I missed 9 greens, was a bit off today but got 8 up and downs 😂 guy couldn’t believe it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you.

Jamie hits his driver high, despite it being 9 degree - if he gets one just right it just has a little draw on it as well.
If he wants to play low shots he uses his 4 wood with the ball back in the stance - gets more control with that club which is what he prefers into a headwind.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have this problem now and again.
In my case it’s hitting down on my AOA because I have been practicing my irons and take my iron swing to my driver.
This delofts my driver and ball launches at about 8 degrees.

The driver swing is slightly different imo. You need to hit up.

Every other club I hit I take a divot inc my woods but only shallow one.

Just a thought but as Bob says it sounds like your set up needs a bit of work.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buy a sticker with a "number 1" on it.

Attach to the sole of your 3 wood, make sure you cover up the "3."

You now have a driver that you consistently hit 260. Nice.

Slightly off topic but I have said before if we ban driver for the pros and make it 3 wood only it will take more distance off them than sodding about with the ball

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Slightly off topic but I have said before if we ban driver for the pros and make it 3 wood only it will take more distance off them than sodding about with the ball

What a load of dog waste! Who will then do the r&d / marketing? Fat dave chopping around the 9 hole with a qi19 won’t sell product or advance tech.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't go that but maybe limit it to standard loft only - i.e. no lower than 10.5°. Since the guys hitting bombs are using 7.5° and the like nowadays.