Driver problems and pro lessons

HPIMG

Visit site
I am really struggling with the driver and it’s been this way for months now. I have went to a new pro who comes highly recommended. We have done 4 lessons but it’s almost only been with a 7 iron. The last lesson I said look can you look at my driver so I only hit 6 balls. He gave me two tips that I have been working on but it’s not helping.
I am going this weekend and I don’t want to hit irons at all at lessons now, think it will be cheeky if I say this ? I do y want to offend the pro as he has been giving me good lessons on my irons but it’s just my driver is shocking and the rest of the bag is really good.
I have played for the last two weeks without the driver, 10 rounds and have beat my handicap in 9 of they rounds but if I was using driver I would probably go the other way and beat my handicap 1 in 10.
Problem with my driver is it won’t launch at all and it’s embarrassing when I play with new people. I can hit my 3 wood 250/260 yards but driver never really goes over 220 it’s horrible.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My immediate response has to be if you can hit your 3-wood 250/260 why do you need a driver?

When I really struggled with driver, accuracy not distance being my issue, the only time it came out of the bag was when the second cut of rough had all died back and I could afford to miss fairways. Through spring and summer it was 2-iron from the tee, keep the ball in play, still get good distance and enjoy the game.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If you can hit your 3 wood 250, you must have a decent enough swing. Post a swing video up here and see what people make of it. Surely it’s a set up issue?

HPIMG

Visit site
Did you not say from day one, "hi - I'm looking for a driver lesson"?
Yes he said at the start how’s your game ect. Told him games pretty soild apart from driver that’s terrible but I did also say I would maybe like my irons to go slightly higher. Now the whole bag has a apex of 100ft so he’s definitely helped that way but now I only want to focus on the driver .

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like his lessons work.

I would say right at the beginning of the lesson what you have said on here and maybe only take a driver and other wood with you to the lesson

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Initial thoughts were getting ahead of the ball at impact but that would normally produce a pull/slice and if your 3 wood is ok, I would think the ball isn't far enough forward and your tee is too low.
Get yourself some long tees and move the ball forward to your big toe. That will give you an upward angle of attack

HPIMG

Visit site
Initial thoughts were getting ahead of the ball at impact but that would normally produce a pull/slice and if your 3 wood is ok, I would think the ball isn't far enough forward and your tee is too low.
Get yourself some long tees and move the ball forward to your big toe. That will give you an upward angle of attack
Yea that’s exactly what the pro told me. Ball has to move forward and for some reason I’m not rotating through the swing like I do on the other clubs.
I’ve tried for the past two weeks at the range putting the ball forward but its not really helping. I’ll hit maybe 1 in 10 that will go 60ft high but that’s still too low and it’s 1 in 10. I’m going to say at weekend I really just want to focus on the driver only and take it from there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yea that’s exactly what the pro told me. Ball has to move forward and for some reason I’m not rotating through the swing like I do on the other clubs.
I’ve tried for the past two weeks at the range putting the ball forward but its not really helping. I’ll hit maybe 1 in 10 that will go 60ft high but that’s still too low and it’s 1 in 10. I’m going to say at weekend I really just want to focus on the driver only and take it from there.
What loft is your driver set to? Just out of interest.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Real and feel?
You may feel it's forward 3 inches whereas it may only be an inch or 2.
Get someone to confirm where the ball really is.
I'd bet £1 it's not as far forward as you think.
If I'm wrong, it may be you're reaching for it.
Try and stay centred and feel the clubhead going passed you.

Here's a video of an old man changing ball position and staying behind it...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember roll out, those were the days :ROFLMAO:
But 60yd roll out :oops:. @HPIMG are you playing on a runway? 😂

Be blunt with your pro, tell him exactly what you want the lesson on. I never go in with a general swing question, I always have a specific club in mind. You are the one in charge of this, don't forget that.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Be blunt with your pro, tell him exactly what you want the lesson on. I never go in with a general swing question, I always have a specific club in mind. You are the one in charge of this, don't forget that.
I agree but sometimes it's easier to fix a swing issue with a shorter club then work up to the driver during the lesson.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i needed some help with my driver recently and told the pro at the start so that's all i used for lesson.

his word were "there's nothing wrong with your swing but your set up is bloody awful"

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Bob has and your pro have basically said swing is okay - don’t worry find the correct impact point for your driver.
I completely understand that you stand there with a driver and have a whole load of thoughts about it.. but imagine your swinging your 7 iron and if that’s too much of a stretch of for your imagination think 3 wood..
I would also look at my 3 wood and think what do I do well here and why and take it to the driver.. you may find a little shorter shaft length (grip down) is helpful..
I think you have been given the tools, now it’s time to experiment and build with them ..
The biggest lesson I learned was be positive.. think negative and negative stuff happens ( this is really difficult when you get to 45+ plus as you see loads of bad stuff ☹️😳)

Springveldt

Visit site

Considering he's hitting his 3 wood 250/260 yards then he must have plenty of speed and is hitting line drives with his driver that are 160mph ball speed but with no carry.

I am really struggling with the driver and it’s been this way for months now. I have went to a new pro who comes highly recommended. We have done 4 lessons but it’s almost only been with a 7 iron. The last lesson I said look can you look at my driver so I only hit 6 balls. He gave me two tips that I have been working on but it’s not helping.
I am going this weekend and I don’t want to hit irons at all at lessons now, think it will be cheeky if I say this ? I do y want to offend the pro as he has been giving me good lessons on my irons but it’s just my driver is shocking and the rest of the bag is really good.
I have played for the last two weeks without the driver, 10 rounds and have beat my handicap in 9 of they rounds but if I was using driver I would probably go the other way and beat my handicap 1 in 10.
Problem with my driver is it won’t launch at all and it’s embarrassing when I play with new people. I can hit my 3 wood 250/260 yards but driver never really goes over 220 it’s horrible.
You are the one that's paying, just tell him you are happy with your irons now but you've taken driver out the bag as it's been so bad and you want to work on that. Nothing cheeky about it at all, you are paying for a service so you need to tell him what you want help with.

Albo

Visit site
Hang on, you hit your 3w 250-260 and after 4 lessons you’re beating your handicap 9 times out of 10, that pro must be working wonders with the rest of your game!
While I’d also not want to upset him because you really are into a good thing with someone who can get you beating your handicap 90% of the time, I would be honest with him and at the next lesson just say “I’d like to work on driver this week”.