Driver flex vs fairway?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ola! So, despite a crippling hangover and a bad back (lifting the MD on my shoulders) from last nights works Xmas do, I trudged off to a driver fitting today.

It was great fun to hit some of the new model drivers, and quite remarkably, I was hitting the ball reasonably well.

Loved the Titleist 913D2, but it was a little rich for me at over £230. Lovely club though. Also hit the Callaway Optiforce, which I wasn't keen on.

Anyway, as I am GM Forum 400 yard filthy long, the pro recommended a stiff shaft, rather than the regular I play in my K15. I was sceptical, but the results proved he was right as distance and dispersion were better.

So, my question to you is, when I take delivery of my new driver (X Hot - Project X 6.0), should I match the flex and/or shaft in my fairway wood? I should have asked the pro there and then, but alas, I did not. What do you guys think?

If it helps any, my swing speed averaged 92mph, smash factor(??) 1.49, distance 240yd and ball speed around 130. Not sure if any/all are relevant but any input you can give, much appreciated. Incidentally, I play a regular flex in hybrid and irons.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 15344

Just keep the same shaft in your fairways if they work.

I have a regular shaft in my 4 wood but every other club is stiff.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Swing Speed is on the traditional cusp between Reg and Stiff, though several other factors determine shaft and flex.

So Reg 3-wood will probably be fine. Your head might still want to try and match them though - don't listen to it (yet!):D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's the stock shaft in the X Hot? The pro said the idea was to reduce spin to under 3000rpm?

Hard to argue with a custom fit/pro's view was just an observation on the shaft you have chosen that it would be aimed at higher speeds, if it does the job then great. To answer your op based on that Id be careful having a 3 wood with a shaft that reduces spin too low at your swing speed, but definitely best you ask the pro and/or have another fit imo

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's the stock shaft in the X Hot? The pro said the idea was to reduce spin to under 3000rpm?

I asked the same question to rob rock and he said you dont always use the same shaft from driver to fairways. Its something to do with angle of attack and impact possition. (Rob rocks range is good btw! )I was fitted for a ahina shaft in my driver but cant hit a fairway wood with an ahina shaft.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the input gents, I think i'll leave the regular in the FW for now, it goes well in any case.

I think the shaft he recommended is the stock shaft for the pro model, not the standard X hot......I think.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever feels comfortable to you....... I have Diamana KiaLi's in both my driver and 3
wood.... SS with the driver is between 104 and 106mph and Iv a stiff shaft in the driver...... Iv the regular in my 3 wood and it feels nice so I'm slow to change to stiff even though on paper I should be using stiff...... Whatever works.....

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hard to argue with a custom fit/pro's view was just an observation on the shaft you have chosen that it would be aimed at higher speeds, if it does the job then great. To answer your op based on that Id be careful having a 3 wood with a shaft that reduces spin too low at your swing speed, but definitely best you ask the pro and/or have another fit imo

The PX in the X-Hot is the white PX Velocity shaft, which is fairly light. The Pro version has a 10g (I think) heavier shaft.

It's still a decent stiff shaft, but nowhere near as stout as the PX that was a standard option in the 910D drivers if you were thinking of that one.
I have the pro version of the fairway wood with the 6.0PXv and would say it's similar flex to the Kai'li in the Titleist woods.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ola! So, despite a crippling hangover and a bad back (lifting the MD on my shoulders) from last nights works Xmas do, I trudged off to a driver fitting today.

It was great fun to hit some of the new model drivers, and quite remarkably, I was hitting the ball reasonably well.

Loved the Titleist 913D2, but it was a little rich for me at over £230. Lovely club though. Also hit the Callaway Optiforce, which I wasn't keen on.

Anyway, as I am GM Forum 400 yard filthy long, the pro recommended a stiff shaft, rather than the regular I play in my K15. I was sceptical, but the results proved he was right as distance and dispersion were better.

So, my question to you is, when I take delivery of my new driver (X Hot - Project X 6.0), should I match the flex and/or shaft in my fairway wood? I should have asked the pro there and then, but alas, I did not. What do you guys think?

If it helps any, my swing speed averaged 92mph, smash factor(??) 1.49, distance 240yd and ball speed around 130. Not sure if any/all are relevant but any input you can give, much appreciated. Incidentally, I play a regular flex in hybrid and irons.

Cheers

My figures are about the same as yours, SS is a couple of mph higher, and I have stiff Titleist Diamana Kai'li's in all my Woods and hybrids. My SS should apparently be more on the regular side but I have always found stiffer shafts better for me. I have no idea how the PX 6.0 compares to the Kai'li stiff but if I were you I'd forget about the flex and if it works in the driver, have the same shafts in your FWs - works for me.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My figures are about the same as yours, SS is a couple of mph higher, and I have stiff Titleist Diamana Kai'li's in all my Woods and hybrids. My SS should apparently be more on the regular side but I have always found stiffer shafts better for me. I have no idea how the PX 6.0 compares to the Kai'li stiff but if I were you I'd forget about the flex and if it works in the driver, have the same shafts in your FWs - works for me

I would agree with this 100%

I have the swingspeed of an arthritic 80 year old, so regular as regular gets.

I've found a shaft that suits me in the (Made for) Kai'li in my 910D and F.

Strangely, I have a different shaft in my hybrid. Same flex, just a different kick point. I have the (Made for) Ilima Plugged into that. Only reason is that the launch I got with the Kai'li was good, but not high enough. I wanted the ball to launch a little higher, which I got from the Ilima.

The Bassara shaft nearly sent the ball into orbit :mad:

D

Deleted member 1147

I believe the driver should have the stiffest shaft in the bag, so stiff in that doesn't necessarily equate to stiff in the F/Ws.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it really depends what you do with your fairways, if you use them off the tee and really lay into them then stiff is where you need to go. If you play your fairways off the fairway more often then your SS reflects this and your more controlled. I used to play stiff in my driver and strong 3 wood, but my 5 wood was a regular because I played a variety of slow swing shots with it.
However I would say that the project x range are quite tip soft, that's why they feel very smooth, you could get away with a stiff tip regular shaft but that would be a case of looking for one.