Driver Fade

Fabia999

Visit site
What shaft are you using in the JPX? I had a Regular one of these in a hire set and found it quite soft. I had the same issue, high fades, as Bob eludes to they got worse the faster I swung. The Reg shaft was leaving the clubface open at address and with 12* loft as well I can imagine that could be an issue. However it's impossible for us to tell, you'd have to get custom fit, I know people bemoan AG but for a free service you could at least try a few different shafts and see if that straigntens it out. And plenty on here (myself included) have found some AGs to be very good.

If it doesn't, youre swinging out to in and cutting across the ball, also like me when I go at it and "hit" from the top rather than achieving a smooth transition.

I believe its a 50 gram light shaft, can't be more specific without seeing it. I tried a few at AG when i first started out and this was the best. I am not a fast swinger (around 80 if I remember rightly). This is why i went for light shaft and more loft to help me get the ball in the air. I have got better since then and I have no problems getting the ball in the air with my old 10.5 driver but that still fades off.

Im planning on heading down to AG tomorrow for some new balls, I will have a look in there, last time i went the booth was empty so the guy let me jump in for 10. If not I can book in.

Thanks for reply :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If your swing is moving left through impact and the clubface is pointing the same way, the ball will go left.
It doesn't, it starts straight.
Therefore if the ball fades then the clubface will be open to the out to in swing path and probably pointing nearer the target.
That would mean the ball starts straight but with left to right side spin.

Try the drill below at the range and see if you can avoid hitting the front head cover

You may also want to check your grip

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe its a 50 gram light shaft, can't be more specific without seeing it. I tried a few at AG when i first started out and this was the best. I am not a fast swinger (around 80 if I remember rightly). This is why i went for light shaft and more loft to help me get the ball in the air. I have got better since then and I have no problems getting the ball in the air with my old 10.5 driver but that still fades off.

Im planning on heading down to AG tomorrow for some new balls, I will have a look in there, last time i went the booth was empty so the guy let me jump in for 10. If not I can book in.

Thanks for reply :)

Okay then it might be something to look at and always fun trying new toys. However before you start rattling through new drivers I think you should try Bob's drill. Whatever shaft you're using if you keep bashing the headcover you're better off fixing that. As for checking your grip this can be tricky for folk, cos over the years you just get comformtable with a way to hold the club and the rest of the swing compensates around that. First pass would be get a photo of Phil Mickelsons grip on your phone, put a mirror in front of you nesxt to the phone and grip the club normally, how similar are they? BTW I'm assuming youre not a lefty!

Anyway like I say, defo try the toys, but listen to Bob for he is wise.

Fabia999

Visit site
Spent a while thinking of my swing today. I feel I swing more like my irons with my driver like up and down rather than like round my right shoulder, does that make sense? would this make a difference? I feel like it would haha

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Spent a while thinking of my swing today. I feel I swing more like my irons with my driver like up and down rather than like round my right shoulder, does that make sense? would this make a difference? I feel like it would haha
The high flight may come from that. The driver is longer than your irons & you will naturally swing it flatter. If you try to swing it up & down like the irons it's quite likely that you'll get the high fades you're talking about.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest there shouldn't be a great deal of difference felt in the swing with an iron and driver, difference is mainly at address. Driver - wider stance, ball further forward, you naturally have more shoulder tilt as a result of this. Longer shaft with the driver means you naturally stand further away with less forward bend and the swing is essentially on a shallower inclined plane. These are obvious differences to observe but you should feel like you make exactly the same swing with both, you are just starting from different setup positions to encourage different impact angles.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Rick Shiels did a video called 3 steps to hit driver longer and straighter or something like that, and that worked wonders for me. I struggled with a slice and that video corrected it to a slight fade so may work the same to straighten yours out

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I went through a very seriously bad phase of this (very fast swing at the time) I finally diagnosed mine as poor weight transfer. My weight was not transferring fast enough from the back leg to the front and was seriously out of sequence with the rest of the swing.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have been most consistent when playing with a gentle fade. Changing to get those extra few draw yards was the worst decision I ever made!

Totally agree. I had a slice which I turned into a nice fade but my thought process was always that I needed to turn that fade into a draw.

Having wasted a load of time and ruining a lot of rounds with wayward driving I just accepted my shot shape and I’m now back to being a pretty consistent fader of the ball.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've gone from playing a big to soft draw, to a small fade.

I wouldn't care if I was still hitting the fairway to be honest. I'm probably 10 yards shorter, but I'm in play.

GolfingPastor

Visit site
Totally agree. I had a slice which I turned into a nice fade but my thought process was always that I needed to turn that fade into a draw.

Having wasted a load of time and ruining a lot of rounds with wayward driving I just accepted my shot shape and I’m now back to being a pretty consistent fader of the ball.

Totally agree- This is the key!