Drills for a mega strong grip.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So after a great purple patch mid season and some world championship hacking I went fit a lesson tonight. As I expected this dam hook is a result of the super strong left hand with a medium strong right hand.  The pro had me over compensate with with a super week grip with a 10 - 2 swing trying to get me cutting the ball and used to the grip. After an alien half hour things were clicking and the new grip was sort of feeling ok. So the lesson finishes and I opt for 50 balls in the range and back as if by magic Tyson super hands are back along with that deadly left hook. How can walking out of the video bay to the bay ten feet away change so much

Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping my hands in a weak grip position?  Any helps is appreciated  as I'm fed up with playing from different dairways

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Can't help I'm sorry. I like to have a neutral grip with my left and strong(er) with my right. Don't believe in a weak grip at all... not ever.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think he's got me over gripping weak so when I return to neutral it's easier. If I'm honest I think it may be making it harder on me with this method, I'd rather tweak then tweak again and in A few weeks because at the moment I couldn't hit a course at all, but with all our major comps done for the year it makes sense to do it now so the grip in engrained for the new season

I hope

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think he's got me over gripping weak so when I return to neutral it's easier.

I'd say (and it's a guess) that 90% of golfers including pros are somewhere between neutral and strong. Why learn a weak grip only to go back to neutral?

Sorry, not for me. That's a methodology I don't buy in to.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just one I agree it hard work and I'm not totally convinced but he hasn't put me wrong before and over three years my h/c has dropped from low 20'S to 15. He's worked loads of kinks out but this strong grip has niggled away for 3 years of tweaking so now is time to kill it, like you said 90% of golfers are stronger grippers and most power hitters are strong grippers but my strong grip is killing my consistency so if killing a few yards gets me to 10/12 then crack on

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Take your normal strong grip but with the clubface slightly open.
Then turn your hands till the face is square...bingo, a neutral grip :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if only it were that simple bob. ive been trying that way for ages and it just dont seem to work.

Apparently getting my right hand weak isnt the problem, its the left hand thats cuasing the major issues. Strangely enough i can play with a strong left and a weak right and still swing ok, the issue it with the left more so than the right

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
if only it were that simple bob. ive been trying that way for ages and it just dont seem to work.

Apparently getting my right hand weak isnt the problem, its the left hand thats cuasing the major issues. Strangely enough i can play with a strong left and a weak right and still swing ok, the issue it with the left more so than the right

You must be holding it too much in the fingers with your left hand.
Try and feel as if it's more in the hand and less in the fingers :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't understand how you can accidentally go back to the very strong grip if you're trying to practice with a weak or neutral grip.

Something in the swing yes, as it's muscle memory and reactions, but you've got as long as you want to grip the club, AND you can watch what you're doing, AND you can stop and start again if you look at it and know it's wrong.

What am I missing?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
without noticing my grip over time has worked its way back strong again. The problem i have is now my left is so strong (through gripping with the fingers as bob suggested) thats it feels so un-natural to grip with a neutral or weak left hand. getting the right weak isnt an issue.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seeing as it's the end of the season why not use your range sessions to practise hitting only easy half swings with the correct grip to warm up for the 1st 30 balls or so before hitting any full shots? It only feels un-natural as it is different and hitting easy half shots with no emphasis on dispersion etc will make it feel far more natural a lot quicker. If you can do the 2 finger swing ie holding the grip only with with the thumbs on top and the index fingers and allow the weight of the clubhead to open and close the clubface throughout the swing it'll help to ingrain the change quicker too. I use this drill to prevent overgripping and helps me keep the hands passive with regards to manipulating the clubface throughout the swing.

HTH

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gasman thanks for your suggestions, all week I've been just gripping a club for a few mins at work here and there and it's slowly feeling better. I'm off to the range again shortly for 50 half shots and 5o wedges using the new grip to try and ingrain it same Saturday with another lesson booked tuesday