Drainage gutter/prepared rock/immovable obstruction?

SunWolf

Visit site
This was my lie after a tee shot on a par three rolled off a side hill beside the green over the cart path and ended up nestled beside these rocks. I believe these rocks were placed here to help with drainage and it's not marked with any stakes. Probably should have taken a better photo but I honestly didn't think this would become an issue. My playing partners thought it was a penalty drop and I thought it should be treated as an extension of the cart path in the top left corner. Prepared rock or drainage gutter, immovable obstruction?
Anyone think it should be a free drop or penalty drop/play as it lies?

Free relief or penalty.jpeg

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was my lie after a tee shot on a par three rolled off a side hill beside the green over the cart path and ended up nestled beside these rocks. I believe these rocks were placed here to help with drainage and it's not marked with any stakes. Probably should have taken a better photo but I honestly didn't think this would become an issue. My playing partners thought it was a penalty drop and I thought it should be treated as an extension of the cart path in the top left corner. Prepared rock or drainage gutter, immovable obstruction?
Anyone think it should be a free drop or penalty drop/play as it lies?

View attachment 54660
Check the scorecard and view the local rules…

D-S

Visit site
To me this looks to be an abnormal course condition (immovable obstruction) and, unless a local rule states otherwise, you would be allowed free relief.
Edit - see definition Obstruction and Rule 16.1a

Last edited:

SunWolf

Visit site
For it to be a penalty the club would have to declare it as an integral part of the course.
That was my stance on it too, there is no markings/stakes around it and nothing on the scorecard so I took a free drop with an asterisks to check with the course after the round. A course marshal came by a few holes later and one of my playing partners mentioned it to him. He said he wasn't sure but it was probably a penalty so I took the extra shot on the card. I checked local rules and there is nothing mentioned about this location. So I concluded that if there is nothing written then we should default to the rules of golf which would be an IO free drop.

I found an video on virtually the same scenario here:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That was my stance on it too, there is no markings/stakes around it and nothing on the scorecard so I took a free drop with an asterisks to check with the course after the round. A course marshal came by a few holes later and one of my playing partners mentioned it to him. He said he wasn't sure but it was probably a penalty so I took the extra shot on the card. I checked local rules and there is nothing mentioned about this location. So I concluded that if there is nothing written then we should default to the rules of golf which would be an IO free drop.

I found an video on virtually the same scenario here:

Yes, in your photo it is clearly a prepared and laid area.

salfordlad

Visit site
Plenty of good advice above. In sum, any constructions on a course like this - pathways, drainage or whatever - are treated under the rules as immovable obstructions (Rule 16 applies) unless the Committee has overridden that default status under the rules by posting a Local Rule that states otherwise.