DP world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley-D

Visit site
So is the DP world tour the DP WORLD tour or the DP WORLD TOUR? It appears that DP WORLD are the company who are ejecting p&o staff from thier ships and bringing Middle Eastern employment relations to the uk. I wonder if we will see any reaction in terms of a moral compass from the players

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So is the DP world tour the DP WORLD tour or the DP WORLD TOUR? It appears that DP WORLD are the company who are ejecting p&o staff from thier ships and bringing Middle Eastern employment relations to the uk. I wonder if we will see any reaction in terms of a moral compass from the players

Mot heard anything about this. Have you any evidence? Are you not confusing it with the Saudi Golf League?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Mot heard anything about this. Have you any evidence? Are you not confusing it with the Saudi Golf League?

The European Tour was rebranded the DP World Tour - DP World being the new headline sponsors.

DP World are also the Dubai based logistics and shipping company that own P&O and are responsible for the announcement made regarding the 800 lost jobs today.

From the BBC:
"We have made a £100m loss year on year, which has been covered by our parent DP World. This is not sustainable. Without these changes there is no future for P&O Ferries."

P&O is owned by DP World, the multi-national ports and logistics company based in Dubai. It paid a £270m dividend to shareholders in 2020.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thread title could probably do with changing ?

It’s ‘DP World’ Tour, very confusing as it sounds as though it’s a tour around the world.

As for what’s going on, it’s disgusting. We go to France every now and then, certainly won’t be using p&o again and I imagine a little of people will be the same. Shameful act.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A parent company is not going to cover losses of that level for long. P & O has to stand on its own, to expect otherwise is naive. It's why companies have multiple entities.

There is no defence for the behaviour of P & O today though, that is poor in the extreme.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thread title could probably do with changing ?

It’s ‘DP World’ Tour, very confusing as it sounds as though it’s a tour around the world.

As for what’s going on, it’s disgusting. We go to France every now and then, certainly won’t be using p&o again and I imagine a little of people will be the same. Shameful act.
Or at least combined with the better named P&O one.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
is the decision morally wrong? Absolutely, pretty sure I read under maritime law they will get away with it. That same maritime law which allowed the majority of staff to pay no tax.

harsh as it is, they’ve probably not got a leg to stand on.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
is the decision morally wrong? Absolutely, pretty sure I read under maritime law they will get away with it. That same maritime law which allowed the majority of staff to pay no tax.

harsh as it is, they’ve probably not got a leg to stand on.

Wasn't my department, but where are the ship registered?

Wouldn't they have the legal right to notice under UK employment law?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A bit of factual background to the legislation that allows what P&O to do is given without comment.

A bill was presented in Oct 2021 to make illegal what P&O have done (though my understanding is that the bill would not have made fire and re-hire illegal). The bill had cross-party support but a three line whip saw it blocked at 2nd reading.

Link to the debate and the background to the bill for anyone interested in the debate and to help inform our discussion is given below.

https://www.parallelparliament.co.u...ntandtradeunionrightsdismissalandreengagement

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone know what else DP World run other than P & O? Can't really withdraw my support for something I don't use, but if there is anything else I can stop using it would be nice to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.