Downswing for driver

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all,
Finally ive decided to invest in a driver.
For the last 2 years I have played without one,however I just purchased
a Ping G5 for £15 and im giving it a go.
I was up the range this morning and I was getting some indifferent results.
One thing I have been trying is to get my right hand close to my hip as I come
down and through the ball.
Is this what im looking for in the downswing.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert, but until one comes along I'd say more like your right elbow close to your hip rather than right hand.

Let the club start the downswing as if it's falling under it's own weight for a split second before you accelerate into the ball.

When you pick your target, also pick a distance you're trying to hit the ball. A lot of problems with the driver imo are because it "has to go as far as possible".
Pick a target at a distance you'd be happy with, and quite often it will go further because you aren't trying to kill the ball.

Keep your head behind the ball.

That's my tuppence worth. Good luck Tony :thup:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert, but until one comes along I'd say more like your right elbow close to your hip rather than right hand.

Let the club start the downswing as if it's falling under it's own weight for a split second before you accelerate into the ball.

When you pick your target, also pick a distance you're trying to hit the ball. A lot of problems with the driver imo are because it "has to go as far as possible".
Pick a target at a distance you'd be happy with, and quite often it will go further because you aren't trying to kill the ball.

Keep your head behind the ball.

That's my tuppence worth. Good luck Tony :thup:

Thx Gaz sorry did me elbow,just tried the hand[it hit my hip,lol.
Thx for the tip

D

Deleted Member 1156

Swing the driver in exactly the same manner that you swing any other club. The danger with the driver is to try to leather it, often causing people to come over the top in an effort to generate more power. The only thing that should change is your setup, the ball should be further forward in your stance so that you catch it on the upswing, ideally somewhere level with your left heel (right handed player).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Swing the driver in exactly the same manner that you swing any other club. The danger with the driver is to try to leather it, often causing people to come over the top in an effort to generate more power. The only thing that should change is your setup, the ball should be further forward in your stance so that you catch it on the upswing, ideally somewhere level with your left heel (right handed player).

And remember to tee it 'high'. Just how high will depend on you, but swing easy and it should work well. G15 is a very 'user friendly' Driver!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Listen to this man Tony. He has only ever missed two fairways in all the games I have played with him.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
And remember to tee it 'high'. Just how high will depend on you, but swing easy and it should work well. G15 is a very 'user friendly' Driver!

I got shot of my Titleist D2 910 cos the G15 just was the easiest driver I've ever hit. Nice slow swing and it just flies of the face

£56 quid on Fleabay - bargain!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Its a G5 got it for £15 bargain

Doh! And that was before the £2.99 South African Cab/Shiraz!

G5 is still pretty good, just doesn't quite my style as much - my misses are high/low of centre as opposed to left/right. Probably why the FT3 (with the too stiff shaft) I resurrected still beats the SL290 (with the too soft/high torque shaft). Maybe it's all in the head! :rolleyes:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got shot of my Titleist D2 910 cos the G15 just was the easiest driver I've ever hit. Nice slow swing and it just flies of the face

£56 quid on Fleabay - bargain!

I've got a G15 4 Wood coming from eBay to try as my fairway wood / driving wood on shorter Par 4's.

My G25 is the easiest driver to hit I've had to date but it's still a bit inconsistent due to my natural steep AoA over the top natural swing path. Fixing it is a work in progress...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I was up the range this morning and I was getting some indifferent results.
One thing I have been trying is to get my right hand close to my hip as I come
down and through the ball.
Is this what im looking for in the downswing.

Stand further from the ball. Create some space in front of you to swing into. It's not an 8 -iron.