Don't know what to do

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My golf has been going very well for the last 12 months, coming down from 20 to 12. The progress had slowed somewhat as you'd expect but I was still happy I was going in the right direction, until last weekend....

It all started last Saturday, I played with a mate and didn't have a warm up. First drive high, pushed. Second, high fade, and from then on it just got worse and worse to the point I could even hit the ball off the tee. All I could do was make a tiny swing and hit a massive fade about 100 yards.

I went to the range on Sunday and battled the same issues but eventually hit some nice drives at the end. Back to normal....

Played urban golf on Monday night was hitting it ok.

Range again last night and back to my form of last weekend. Debilitating fade on every drive. Hitting all clubs much higher than I normally do.

I'm supposed to be playing in a comp on Sunday but I don't know how I can. I'll have to go round with nothing longer than an 8 iron!

I now can't just make a normal swing. I get the driver in my hands and it feels so alien! I've got no chance of hitting it well.

I'm completely lost. How can I find my old trustworthy swing? Where's it gone!!??!!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Its still there.but you are doing something slightly differently
check the fundamentals, grip, posture, alignment. Tempo, ball position, tee height

if you cant sort it then a quick trip to your pro might be in order

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ibiza, Canarys, Aussie, maybe.
Its gone on holiday, back soon.....probably just as the weather turns.
One of the Golfing Gods little japes.
They like a chuckle at our expense every now and then.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Look up online how to do the opposite of what you are currently doing. then work back towards the middle.

Its easier than you think.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Plenty of how to hit a draw videos. exaggerate the moves needed then attempt to weaken them off.

Starting by hitting a few hooks might not be a bad idea.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
First of all, don't panic, calm down dear ;)
The ball is going high and right which means the clubface is pointing right of your target at impact.
To hit it lower and straighter, you have to get the clubface pointing straighter at impact.
I wonder if your grip has slipped to a weak position (anti clockwise)
Try moving your left hand clockwise A LITTLE until it feels uncomfortable and see what affect that has

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First of all, don't panic, calm down dear ;)
The ball is going high and right which means the clubface is pointing right of your target at impact.
To hit it lower and straighter, you have to get the clubface pointing straighter at impact.
I wonder if your grip has slipped to a weak position (anti clockwise)
Try moving your left hand clockwise A LITTLE until it feels uncomfortable and see what affect that has

I tried that, it didn't seem to help.

I think I'm opening the clubface almost immediately in my backswing, could that be causing an issue? One thing I know for sure, the more I try not to hit a high fade, the worse the problem gets.

I know you're right that I should chillout, but I'm terrified I've irreversibly gone back to be horrific at golf...which is completely irrational I know!

Normally when something goes wrong I know how to go about fixing it, but this is different to anything I've previously experienced.

Last edited:

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Getting ahead of the ball through impact? My pro has been working hard to stop me from doing this, keeping my head more behind the ball.. everytime I get ahead of the ball, I have a similar high fade.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Relax. Your fear may be causing upper body tension which isn't allowing you to may a nice turn. Go to the range, aim everything right, RELAX and make a smooth turn. You'll soon be drawing them back.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will.
You may have changed your grip then it slips back.
Try it again

Ok! Will do - I think perhaps when I tried it yesterday I might have been compensating for the stronger grip by opening the face even more. I'll try and strengthen the grip and just swing.

Thanks Bob (and others who have reassured me!).

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Relax. Your fear may be causing upper body tension which isn't allowing you to may a nice turn. Go to the range, aim everything right, RELAX and make a smooth turn. You'll soon be drawing them back.

I think I'm getting so tense on the downswing I'm not releasing properly too. I just need to let it go! But it's easier said than done.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Trying NOT to hit a high fade and your brain hears "hit a high fade? Okeydokey" As others have said you have some fear of the bad shot and are tight and tense and most of all thinking of 101 things (mechanics or outcomes) that are getting in the way of a smooth rhythmic swing.

Breathe, relax, pick a target, close your mind to all other thoughts then just smile and swing. Accept the result that happens then go again.

If you trust your swing and quiet your mind your body will make the swing you want if you just give it the chance.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played this morning, well, I use that term loosely.

Got to the club for a warm up, tried strengthening the grip, tried just swinging, tried everything I could think of but no improvement at all.

Ended up just walking the course with my mate while he played and dropping a ball once I was about 100-150 yards out and playing from there. Didn't want to let him down.

I'm going to have to take a break from golf for a bit. Not quite sure how long as yet.

Will do nothing for the next week - no range or swinging a club at home, nothing and then potentially go for a lesson next weekend or the weekend after.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right - I've got a little bit of perspective.

I'll take a few days off then start with basics, focus on grip, posture etc and take it from there.

I surely can't have completely lost it can I??!