Don’t be too down on yourself.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
This winter it feels like my ball striking has gone to the absolute dogs. I’ve hit shots that 28hcp’ers would be ashamed of. I’ve struggled with rounds of hitting fat, then hitting thin, loosing any sense of what distance I hit clubs.

BUT....Today’s trip to a top course has restored my faith in my own ability. The turf was worlds apart from my own track and from the first hole, strike was back on form. Distances back on point. +2 gross in a 3 club wind was the result.

Really has given me a reference point for not judging my game over winter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't be too hard on yourself. Winter golf, especially the short game requires accurate ball striking. Pleased you have found something that worked today and hopefully it'll be the start of a big turnaround

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
This winter it feels like my ball striking has gone to the absolute dogs. I’ve hit shots that 28hcp’ers would be ashamed of. I’ve struggled with rounds of hitting fat, then hitting thin, loosing any sense of what distance I hit clubs.

BUT....Today’s trip to a top course has restored my faith in my own ability. The turf was worlds apart from my own track and from the first hole, strike was back on form. Distances back on point. +2 gross in a 3 club wind was the result.

Really has given me a reference point for not judging my game over winter.

As long as I play well off the tee over winter I’m happy.

Played the 28th and must have taken 4 to get down from 80 yards at least a dozen times as just couldn’t master a delicate shot. Still beats being at work though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As long as I play well off the tee over winter I’m happy.

Played the 28th and must have taken 4 to get down from 80 yards at least a dozen times as just couldn’t master a delicate shot. Still beats being at work though.
It's frustrating when that happens. Managed to do it a few times today. I had been doing well with the chipping and pitching and had been taking ball first. Today I got caught out and was hitting turf first with inevitable outcomes. Have to agree, beats work and so Wednesday when I go back is going to seem strange and a struggle

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Advantage of being lucky enough to play links golf is firm crisp fast draining fairways and greens that roll great 365.

We all go through good and bad spells. Your quality will always shine through in the end lump.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the confidence boost. Course is now horrid sticky mud and decent lies hard to come by, so a timely reminder that conditions currently really impacting on results (y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for the confidence boost. Course is now horrid sticky mud and decent lies hard to come by, so a timely reminder that conditions currently really impacting on results (y)
It is very difficult, especially around the green. I've been working hard to get the ball first and accept my chips will be a little fiery and run out more. I always feel if I can walk off with 30 or more in these conditions it hasn't been a bad round, especially off the whites. It's important to lower expectations and accept it being winter golf

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Advantage of being lucky enough to play links golf is firm crisp fast draining fairways and greens that roll great 365.

We all go through good and bad spells. Your quality will always shine through in the end lump.
I like the odd trip to a links, but couldn’t play links all the time. The “visual” blandness doesn’t do it for me. (Not calling the courses bland).
Played another course today. Again, played well with better course conditions. Must be a sign to move on from my current track

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I like the odd trip to a links, but couldn’t play links all the time. The “visual” blandness doesn’t do it for me. (Not calling the courses bland).
Played another course today. Again, played well with better course conditions. Must be a sign to move on from my current track

It would be a very boring forum if we all agreed. (y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Don't you play preferred lies during winter? most courses ive played during winter implement this. Especially those that get very muddy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being hard on myself is one of my problems. I had a good spell in August/September where I shot low 80s a few times, and so after that I realise I'm expecting to do so every time which just isn't realistic. As mentioned, it can be tough in winter when chipping out of mud patches and rock hard bunkers. You are going to lose shots.