Does your course suit your game ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
After watching LP's vid of his course and the remarks of it being a bit tight for some, myself included makes me wonder, does your course suit your game ??

My previous two clubs were always a bit tight off the tee hence why I think I struggled to maintain cat 1 back in the day, but my current is more open and I've probably shot more rounds in the 70s this year than any previous year I've ever played....

So, does your course suit your game ??

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Mine is too long. I think I would fare better on a shorter course. I also sometimes struggle because our first 4 holes all have a tight oob line to the right, so really not slicer friendly. So on days my tempo is off and the dreaded slice makes an appearance, the first few holes can be very disheartening. On the plus side, the bigger water hazards are mostly places towards the left of the holes and I rarely run into trouble with those.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My new course, yes. My old course, no.

My new course is a lot longer and a bit more open. My last course was short, a few 90 degree dog legs where you would be hitting 6 iron to the corner and wedge in. It was more of placing the ball in places and as a result I just never seem to commit to the shot. There was also always someone coming in with 44 points and CSS was normally 38.

New course the CSS is always 34/35 which makes a big difference. Since joining this year I have been cut 3 shots.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I changed Club a few years ago and I love the new course but it doesn't suit me as well as old one (my hcp has gone up by 2)
I have played old course since leaving and can play a lot closer or lower than my hcp on it. But I hated the summer knee high rougb

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not being a long hitter, playing a long course No. Would I swop courses. No. Always seem to play and score on the shorter courses when away with the lads. Looking forward to when the new rating system come out and how it affects handicaps when playing away.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar to a few on here. Off the whites the course is too long for me. Luckily this year they are having comps off yellows every Saturday so I am playing in them rather than the Sunday, whites comps. Far more enjoyable and will certainly keep me where I am. If they didn't do those comps then I may have looked to move on. I am relieved as I like the other aspects of the club.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not currently a member of a club but when I join one next year it will be a big deciding factor if the course suits my game.
Having to slog it round a course that doesnt suit me every weekend isnt appealing at all.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
A nice wide open Par 72, with no Bunkers, no rough, no trees, no water, nice flat level greens and about 2,500 yards would suit mine

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think so. It's not overly long, only two or three really long par 4s. Has five par 3s of varying lengths, which I like as my shorter irons are normally decent.

It used to suit me even more last year as there are a lot of driver holes (i.e. straight par 4s) and my driving was nice and consistent then, but it's gone to pot this year so not so much now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose you should adapt your game to the course to some extent.

My home course is not overly long at 6500 off the white with par 71 and SSS 73 so only have to break 80 to make buffer, so suits most of the time

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a liability with a driver so Knebworth doesn't suit me at all. Very tight and punishing off the tee. Luckily I'm long enough to get away with hitting hybrid off some of the tees and still have a mid iron in.

Chesfield Downs is wide open. I can spray it all over the place on most holes and still have a shot into the green :) But for some reason still don't seem to score that much better :confused: I think it's probably because I attack the course more and get myself in trouble. Whereas Knebworth you have to play semi-defensive golf.