Does this simple shaft logic work?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Putting aside the usual - its only a forum - caveats :)

Driver fitting put me into a Tensei white shaft.

If looking to pick up a (non fitted, probably used) fairway wood is there a decent chance a Tensei blue would be a fair choice/fit?

I think I have a hazy recollection about the tip stability suiting even though my swing speed isn't that high.

Rambles welcomed.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
properties of a driver shaft in the bend profile weight etc are unique to the driver as it performs a completely different task as the ball is struck from a tee with a club head that generally pretty light -ish around 200grm with the shaft length normally approx 45" now with a bunch at a tad longer

3metal in general needs to get the ball in the air off the ground so the shaft bend profile needed to get the ball airborne is a ways different - in most tour players bags most elite players (although there are some exceptions) you won't find too similar shafts at all because of the difference in both use/bend profile/weight/length from driver to 3metal

would say go & get fit for the 3metal also - folks should do that as a matter of course anyways - but especially with a slower swing swing to get a 3metal to work at it's optimum for you - you have got to be able to launch it to get some 'air' to get optimum distance - but also the bend profile is real important to get right as it plays a huge part in being able to hit the ball off of the sweetspot for solid strike at the optimum dynamic loft

cannot remember in which video out of these 2 from txg but the topic is addressed but think it may be somewheres in the extra-long Q&A video which is the second url below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VknJcSRoYrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXtjDjimu0

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Following on from Coach's logic it depends on what the club is in the bag for.

For me a 3 wood is in the bag as an alternative to using a driver off the tee. Therefore my shaft choice is based upon this rather than how well I hit it off the fairway.

BubbaP

Visit site
Following on from Coach's logic it depends on what the club is in the bag for.

For me a 3 wood is in the bag as an alternative to using a driver off the tee. Therefore my shaft choice is based upon this rather than how well I hit it off the fairway.

Yep I know Coach's answer is the correct one, but then I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't toying with not being "correct" :D

Also tend to use 3 wood as a driver alternative, and usually defer to my low loft hybrid from fairway, but suppose all of that is up for grabs.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
properties of a driver shaft in the bend profile weight etc are unique to the driver as it performs a completely different task as the ball is struck from a tee with a club head that generally pretty light -ish around 200grm with the shaft length normally approx 45" now with a bunch at a tad longer

3metal in general needs to get the ball in the air off the ground so the shaft bend profile needed to get the ball airborne is a ways different - in most tour players bags most elite players (although there are some exceptions) you won't find too similar shafts at all because of the difference in both use/bend profile/weight/length from driver to 3metal

would say go & get fit for the 3metal also - folks should do that as a matter of course anyways - but especially with a slower swing swing to get a 3metal to work at it's optimum for you - you have got to be able to launch it to get some 'air' to get optimum distance - but also the bend profile is real important to get right as it plays a huge part in being able to hit the ball off of the sweetspot for solid strike at the optimum dynamic loft

cannot remember in which video out of these 2 from txg but the topic is addressed but think it may be somewheres in the extra-long Q&A video which is the second url below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VknJcSRoYrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXtjDjimu0

Coach, it's been suggested to me that if you do go for the same shaft in driver & 3 wood then 1 flex stiffer in the driver is the way to go; would this be to get round the issues you describe or was it just straight BS?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coach, it's been suggested to me that if you do go for the same shaft in driver & 3 wood then 1 flex stiffer in the driver is the way to go; would this be to get round the issues you describe or was it just straight BS?

not necessarily as it kinda depends on the 'ei' shaft profile - what's really more important than the overall flex is how that flex is distributed along the shaft

say the driver shaft has been fitted to lower spinrate but also not have the launch too high so that's given a 'certain shaft' make & flex but with the 'ei' profile that probably also has the tip a tad stiffer (ei in real simple terms is the deflection of the shaft at 1" points along the length) so with tip stiff there would be 'less deflection' - less bend when there is force on the shaft in those 1" stages along the shaft so the shaft would be more stable more tip stiff to help lower spin & keep the launch in a reasonable mid window launch - not what then most folks would need in a 3metal shaft

if you then just had that same shaft bit in reg - yes the shaft is overall relatively 'less stiff' but it would still have the same kinda 'ei' so still a tad tip stiff tad more tip stable so then maybes even though it's 'reg' the spinrate would/could be less than optimum for a 3metal plus the launch window would/could be too low - so don't get the spinrate up enough to flight the ball along with don't get the optimum launch angle
there could well be a different type of shaft that would suit the 3metal better

same kinda thing goes for 'counterbalanced shafts' often real useful in a driver fitting but 'counterbalanced shafts' in 3metals tend to suit only a minority of folks

this is why it's real important - if possible - to get a good individual fitting with these 2 clubs

found the short bit in the vid that's briefly touches on this point - if you skip to near the end at 1hr 3m in

[video=youtube;aKXtjDjimu0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXtjDjimu0[/video]

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
not necessarily as it kinda depends on the 'ei' shaft profile - what's really more important than the overall flex is how that flex is distributed along the shaft

say the driver shaft has been fitted to lower spinrate but also not have the launch too high so that's given a 'certain shaft' make & flex but with the 'ei' profile that probably also has the tip a tad stiffer (ei in real simple terms is the deflection of the shaft at 1" points along the length) so with tip stiff there would be 'less deflection' - less bend when there is force on the shaft in those 1" stages along the shaft so the shaft would be more stable more tip stiff to help lower spin & keep the launch in a reasonable mid window launch - not what then most folks would need in a 3metal shaft

if you then just had that same shaft bit in reg - yes the shaft is overall relatively 'less stiff' but it would still have the same kinda 'ei' so still a tad tip stiff tad more tip stable so then maybes even though it's 'reg' the spinrate would/could be less than optimum for a 3metal plus the launch window would/could be too low - so don't get the spinrate up enough to flight the ball along with don't get the optimum launch angle
there could well be a different type of shaft that would suit the 3metal better

same kinda thing goes for 'counterbalanced shafts' often real useful in a driver fitting but 'counterbalanced shafts' in 3metals tend to suit only a minority of folks

this is why it's real important - if possible - to get a good individual fitting with these 2 clubs

found the short bit in the vid that's briefly touches on this point - if you skip to near the end at 1hr 3m in

[video=youtube;aKXtjDjimu0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXtjDjimu0[/video]

Thanks Coach, informative as ever; I'm not quite sure what we've done to deserve you, but glad to have you aboard. :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As has been posted, the actual purpose is important. If it's as a Driver replacement, then same shaft is likely to be fine. If it's for use from the fairway, then low-spin/low launch shafts like Tensei white are likely to be 'less than optimum'!

Simply going down a flex isn't a great solution, though it may work with some shaft profiles and players.

I haven't had experience of Tensei shafts, but have had plenty with earlier 'members of the Mitsubishi family' (Whiteboard, Blueboard , White, Blue Red etc). While I like (a lot) the Whiteboard for Driver, its attributes are completely counter-productive for me/my (88-91mph Driver) swing for 3W!

I'd suggest the Blue would likely be more appropriate for a 3W than the White! Others in the series (Red and Orange) might be even better!

BubbaP

Visit site
If you pop back to the OP, it was the blue that was mentioned.
Obviously as per coach, fitting is the best route, but sometimes us non-elite golfers just like to indulge in a bit of trial and error from the clearance or auction sites.

Anyway to close this off, currently a Steelhead XR 3 wood on trial in the bag. Under 90 notes and looked like it had hit 5 shots :)