Does brand loyalty affect your game.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always been mix and match, bag has become heavily Orka dependent of late as I get great clubs, built for my spec, having been fitted by the main man all at very reasonable prices. Still have a TM driver and a Ping putter as not been able to better them performance wise. Also a TM hybrid tho its on the naughty step as have a new shiny 3 wood :)

I certainly have an allegiance to Alex and the clubs he builds, thats not to say Ill only buy them, if I can get better clubs at a good price from other manufacturers I will

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I was a die hard mizzie fan boy, clubs (irons) bag, balls, towel the whole 9 yards, then sold my irons, which I regretted and since then I’ve got a mixed bag with Titleist irons, mizzie wedges, Ping driver, Cleveland 4w, Adams hybrid and s neutral bag with s mix of accessories.

Some brands are not as strong right across the bag, hence why many mizzie fans will have all the irons but rarely anything at the top of the bag, although they are improving I think in that area.

I think some people play with clubs (irons) that are beyond there personal capability, there’s nothing wrong with that as long as they enjoy themselves and don’t expect too much in return. I think I was like that at first with my muscle back mizzies, but I was learning the game with them, which is why I now love my AP2’s.

I know some friends that are very self conscious and although they should be playing with as much help as possible, like Ping game improvers with a decent cavity, there self consciousness see them playing with almost blades which they struggle with, so in those cases there definitely being held back by not so much the brand, but there personal choice of clubs.

D

Deleted member 23344

I have a bag full of Callaways, but it’s not brand loyalty ... it could just as easily be Ping (as it was a while back) or any other manufacturer. The reason for the single manufacturer bag is, as with others on here, I’m just a bit OCD about mixing. I’m sure my (decidedly average) game would be the same whatever make of clubs I used.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was a die hard mizzie fan boy, clubs (irons) bag, balls, towel the whole 9 yards, then sold my irons, which I regretted and since then I’ve got a mixed bag with Titleist irons, mizzie wedges, Ping driver, Cleveland 4w, Adams hybrid and s neutral bag with s mix of accessories.

Some brands are not as strong right across the bag, hence why many mizzie fans will have all the irons but rarely anything at the top of the bag, although they are improving I think in that area.

I think some people play with clubs (irons) that are beyond there personal capability, there’s nothing wrong with that as long as they enjoy themselves and don’t expect too much in return. I think I was like that at first with my muscle back mizzies, but I was learning the game with them, which is why I now love my AP2’s.

I know some friends that are very self conscious and although they should be playing with as much help as possible, like Ping game improvers with a decent cavity, there self consciousness see them playing with almost blades which they struggle with, so in those cases there definitely being held back by not so much the brand, but there personal choice of clubs.

I hear you Robin, i'm totally in love with my AP3's but if i'm being brutally honest with myself , and I find it hard to say this out loud, I really should have gone for the AP1's as my consistency is poor with the AP3 them. Having made such a significant outlay i'm not going to change now, I can't afford too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always remember back in the days of wooden woods. I had several mates who were Ping 'loyal'. To a man they had 1-3 5 woods in the bag they all said the same thing to me. I can hit the 3/5 wood really well but I just cannot hit the driver (they were all good ball strikers).

I bet you can guess what I thought.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe or maybe not I am not focussed on brands more what I can afford and gives me best results within my budget my bag is a proper mush mash:

cobra woods, Calloway hybrids, mizuno irons, titliest wedges and an odyssey putter. I even use Dunlop golf balls as well :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I always remember back in the days of wooden woods. I had several mates who were Ping 'loyal'. To a man they had 1-3 5 woods in the bag they all said the same thing to me. I can hit the 3/5 wood really well but I just cannot hit the driver (they were all good ball strikers).

I bet you can guess what I thought.

Back then, who could hit a driver? Most people I played with used Ping 3 woods off the tee. I carried a driver, but using it was aspirational.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a mixed bag but not Titliest/Callaway/Ping/TM/ or any other major brand. I have got a PXG but I wouldn't class them like the others. The only major brand I do have is my Mizuno tour bag which one day will go to be replaced with a custom bag.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Back then, who could hit a driver? Most people I played with used Ping 3 woods off the tee. I carried a driver, but using it was aspirational.

Whether you had a laminated wood or a persimmon, they both had tiny sweet spots and along with the old balls of the time, anything off centre was heavily punished. I remember the Ping driver looking big compared to most others around.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use Titleist woods , hybrids and Irons (AP2s), simply because they performed the best for me when I tried out loads of options whenever I last replaced them. There may be better options for me out there, but I can’t be arsed to continually do that level of testing.

wedges are Cleveland, again because they felt better than the volleys when I last replaced them. That may change next year, but just as likely it won’t.

i have a Scotty in the bag right now, but the Ping Ketsch is by no means banished forever.

Srixon balls and a motocaddy bag.

im not loyal to a brand because it’s the same, each area of the bag is chosen because it’s the best for me at the time. Just happens that at the minute there’s a lot of titleist in there.