Does brand loyalty affect your game.

D

Deleted member 18588

Change my equipment far too often to ever develop any Brand Loyalty.

Currently in a Srixon bag I have Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, Cleveland and Wilson Staff clubs.

Doesn't improve my game but it makes me happy!

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
Not sure why there is the assumption that having all of one brand means you don't have a good fit?

If you went to any of the big manufactures for a full fitting they would test you with lots of different shafts, heads, lie angles etc. You could even go as far as different style of putters and wedge bounces.

You could argue that someone who went through that process might have a better fit than someone who walks into AG and picks up 5 different brands with stock shafts and goes yeah I like that one today.

I have a mixed bag and it works for me but don't discount people that only play ping etc as narrow minded because they could have an excellent fit.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose yes and no, my irons and metals are Mizuno, wedges Cleveland, putter Edel, ball Srixon, bag and trolley Motocaddy. My golfing clothes are whatever I like and fits, shoes will always be Footjoy, as I had a shoe fitting with them and know what size I need in the various models they produce and they are extremely comfortable.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure why there is the assumption that having all of one brand means you don't have a good fit?

If you went to any of the big manufactures for a full fitting they would test you with lots of different shafts, heads, lie angles etc. You could even go as far as different style of putters and wedge bounces.

You could argue that someone who went through that process might have a better fit than someone who walks into AG and picks up 5 different brands with stock shafts and goes yeah I like that one today.

I have a mixed bag and it works for me but don't discount people that only play ping etc as narrow minded because they could have an excellent fit.

Good point. Most of the big companies have a wide range now to suit every level of player. From pro to hacker.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
A Tour Pro being tied to one brand won't be an issue, especially someone like Rory. If the off-the-shelf equipment can't be fit to them to fit the numbers they want to see, they'll just build something to their specifications - like the Rors Irons created by TM for example. The top brands are also so similar in terms of performance that the Tour fitters will be able to dial every club in to fit exactly what they want to see.

As for my bag, not tied to one brand. Have a TM Driver, Callaway FW and Hybrid, Nike Irons, a Titleist and Callaway wedge and a Scotty putter. I go performance based rather than brand.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been in both camps and it's made no difference to my scores, only my bank account. It was nice to see all one brand for a while but I didn't care after a while and now go with what I like/fits my budget. I'd bet if those playing for their living had their way ALL bags would be mixed.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am brand loyal to a point; I've tended to stick with brands like Cobra, Callaway, Mizuno, Ping, Srixon/Cleveland, Taylormade, Titleist and haven't really given much thought to the other lesser brands - maybe I should, probably cost less and work just as well.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont have any brand loyalty, I am not sure why anyone not getting paid would have! But each to their own. I try and play whats best for me, or what I like, sometimes it doesnt work, sometimes it does, but I wouldnt go and buy a mizuno driver as I use mizuno irons unless it did the job!

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm also loyal to Puma with what I wear on the course. Every item of golf clothing I wear is Puma, shoes included.

This also applies to Football boots and trainers in general.

Also being Srixon loyal helps to support my pro shop who stock Srixon and Titleist. We have a free Srixon day each year and the fitter is more than happy to make adjustments if necessary.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would any amateur be “loyal” to any brand ? They don’t pay us to use their equipment , we don’t endorse it

And why would using various brands in a bag affect your game ?

We all have brands we like and we will no doubt try and stick with them but also surely be open to using whatever gives the best results within whatever budget ( in regards clubs ) and what clothes you like

I started off with a mix match - liked Taylor Made and had a full bag for a while but over the years I have changed various bits and now have a mix bag of Taylor Made , Mizuno and Titleist

Use what is best for your game and what you like - I wouldn’t compromise any performance just to use a certain brand

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think loyalty is too strong a word. I've had all sorts of clubs down the years but this last while I've slowly gone fully titleist. I just prefer the look of them.

You then get used to a particular style. I prefer a classic look. No turbulators or speed slots in the crown. Preferably black.

I'm unlikely to change from vokeys as I like the weight and shape of them.

Would I play any better with other clubs? probably not because it still my silly swing hitting the ball and making on course decisions.

Do I rush out and buy the latest offerings? No, I wait until something catches my eye. I'm not a fan of the 917 wood range as I don't like the grey. Simple as that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not really - but when I replaced my irons some 10yrs ago I bought John Letters - because they were a historic and traditional Scottish brand - and - oh yes - a 3-PW set of their (then) new limited edition F-7 forged blade-style irons cost me £299

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
I lot of my clubs are Ping. The reason being that they work well for me and have very good customer service. If 2 club manufacturers are performing very similar in a product I will go for ping because I have confidence in there build and customer service. If ping started making sub par equipment and there customers services department went to ***** I'd move to a different brand. So for me its more about confidence in the brand rather than some unfounded loyalty.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm not brand loyal but do have sets of clubs by the same manufacturer and even the same model, for instance:

Dunlop Peter Thomson - Woods, irons & wedges
JB Halley Tournament - Woods, irons
MacGregor MTR - Woods, irons & PW
Browning 440 - Woods, irons & wedges
Slazenger Ambassador - Woods, irons & wedges and even a putter

I like to play them as sets but am not averse to mixing and matching.