Does anyone remember the 'Ford Amateur Golf Tournament'?

Fenton

Visit site
Hi all,

Completely new to this forum and to be honest don't play much golf other than the occasional trip to the driving range or a round with my folks, but I hope someone here might be able to help me.

Some years ago (1982 possibly) my father qualified for Ireland for the Ford Amateur Golf tournament. As part of the things they got there was a team photo. Over the years this photo has faded to the point where it can't be rescued. I'm not trying to find out who would have organised this to see if there is any way at all of getting a copy of the original photo.

Doing a search on Google doesn't bring up anything useful - can anyone point me in the direction of who would have organised this event or who I could try to get the ball rolling?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Regards

Fenton.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Im not sure if it is the same thing but I qualified for the Ford Home Internationals around 1999. I know it doesnt happen anymore either.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I won a qualifer for this tournament back in the late 70's. Went to the presentation at the local Ford garage. Reading Post was there to do a feature. Just before the prize giving i was advised that you had to be 18 to play in the final, and as i was 17 i was excluded. :mad: :mad:

After all these years i have just about got over the disappointment, but this thread has rekindled my rage :mad: :mad: :D

Fenton

Visit site
I've not tried the R&A only the GUI but not heard back from them yet. I'll drop them a line though and see if they can help.

Fenton.

Fenton

Visit site
I won a qualifer for this tournament back in the late 70's. Went to the presentation at the local Ford garage. Reading Post was there to do a feature. Just before the prize giving i was advised that you had to be 18 to play in the final, and as i was 17 i was excluded. :mad: :mad:

After all these years i have just about got over the disappointment, but this thread has rekindled my rage :mad: :mad: :D

:eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I remember it correctly clubs could designate one event (medal) as their qualifier and the local Ford dealer would provide small gift sets (balls tees etc). The winner then went into regional and then national stages of qualifying and the top four or six from the Home Nations and Ireland played somewhere decent in a Final.

Have you tried Ford's head office and see if they have any records of the Finals in their archives.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I remember winning my club heat of the Ford and going to play in the Northern Ireland final at Massereene in 1984. It doesn't feel like 26 years ago.

Did they not have regional and national finals. Our club winner back in 85 went to Effingham for the Surrey qualifier. He didn't get through but the next finals were somewhere like Sunningdale and then it was onto the South Eastern Final and and then the Final itself

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember winning my club heat of the Ford and going to play in the Northern Ireland final at Massereene in 1984. It doesn't feel like 26 years ago.

Did they not have regional and national finals. Our club winner back in 85 went to Effingham for the Surrey qualifier. He didn't get through but the next finals were somewhere like Sunningdale and then it was onto the South Eastern Final and and then the Final itself

That probably was just a Regional final. I don't remember another intermediate event. Surrey has probably as many golf clubs as NI!

Sandy

Assistant Pro
www.gokart.co.uk
It was the local main dealership that put the event together for clubs in the area. I remember my Dad being involved in it, and having it as a project when he retired. Quick phone call to the local Ford dealer might shed some light?

Fenton

Visit site
Not sure who the local Ford dealer would have been back then. Would Ford not just have been the sponsors with the whole event being organised by someone else? How do these things normally work, anyone know?

Dwyer1979

Visit site
I've not tried the R&A only the GUI but not heard back from them yet. I'll drop them a line though and see if they can help.

Fenton.
This is an old message I know but this is me playing in the said home international’s in 1998

Attachments

• 57022831-1957-4420-A74A-24C6C3678E71.jpeg
    57022831-1957-4420-A74A-24C6C3678E71.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 16

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Homer's comment #7 The trouble with local dealers is that although they might still be Ford they are very often not the same company. Our local Ford main dealer has changed companys about 3 times since then.

I played in the clubs qualifying events several times. Back then most of the big car companies has some sort of event my mate got to the regional final of the Rover comp.