Does anyone else do Airbnb?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've just opened our Airbnb business Ffestiniog for one room and Snowdonia for two rooms. Obviously I'd like to know what you think but I wanted to know if anyone here also does hosting? or does anyone here generally use Airbnb when you go golfing or for getaways etc? Pretty much when I go anywhere I used hotels but I'm wondering what people's hosting and guest Airbnb experiences are (y)

I was also thinking about how to integrate some kind of golf into people's stays - eg: they come here and either go for a round of golf by themselves OR somehow I invite them to have a round with me when they book..... thoughts of the possibilities are very welcomed and how logistically to organise it, just not sure how or what I should charge (if anything) for taking someone out for a round of golf for pertty much an entire day... or if it's even possible.

Thanks for your thoughts guys (y)(y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've used AirBNB plenty of times, all good experiences thankfully. Pictures are everything and yours are very good. If I see any weakness in pictures I will click away, they are crucial. Thankfully no arty pictures showing close up of plates and vases etc :LOL:. What is that about? I want to see kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, living room, outside space, view. Nice, clear, bright (y).

I would emphasise a little more, subtlely, that there is not a kitchen. It's hinted at but not clear. You want to avoid grumpiness when someone turns up and has not picked up on this.

Personally, I would list local golf clubs that they can play at but stay clear of actually organising rounds or offering to host them. Maybe I'm miserable but I can see a lot of aggro for you in arranging these things, being let down, messed about etc. Let the person make the booking, not hard now. I know you want to make life easier for them but.........If you list them then the visitor can take it from there.

They are good listings in my eyes, good luck (y)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks good and wouldn't worry about the kitchen bit, it's pretty clear to me it has not got access to a kitchen.

I would go one further, based on your reviewer, say you have secure storage for bikes, walking kit, golf clubs and an outside hose etc for washing bikes/boots etc..

Pics look great! Agree with LT, you don't want the hassle of arranging stuff, plus a lot of people are knobs as you know! My dad does guided motorbike tours in France, and he hates getting stuck with a knobhead for a week, help them with course suggestions etc, but don't get suckered in!!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use them. Never had a bad experience.
Regarding your own listing, all good advice above.
Is it worth having an old (worthless) half set there so that people could play on spec?
I stayed in an airbnb while cycling round the Hebrides and was able to play the isle of Harris club one evening thanks to just such an arrangement.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used AirBnB for my family overseas holidays. Sometime Booking.com too.

AirBnB is very good in my experience and what I look for the guys above have highlighted. Cancellation policy is high on my list currently. Clear and bright photos are a must. Your property has some photos with lights on, saying to me it could be dark in there! Be transparent in the info, namely the no kitchen issue, as it wasn't obvious - the only review say the same.

Steer clear of organising/arranging golf!

Good luck.

Last edited:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd always look for a private annexe or a place with a separate entrance so you feel you can come and go without bumping into the host on the landing first thing in the morning. It looks like yours has that (from the review) but its not the first thing you read in the description - which would make me look elsewhere.

A lot of the Air BnB headline descriptions are 'entire flat' or 'entire cottage' which is obviously done for a reason - to separate these out from shared houses when people are browsing. I'd look to make your heading more specific on the fact the room is separate from the rest of the house - maybe call it an Annex rather than Suite?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I prefer self catering over hotel depending on where i'm going and what type of break it is. Used air bnb for when on dog walking breaks, golfing breaks and even nurburgring. Weekend breaks with the wife I use air b n b at times to find nice lodges with hot tubs etc. I always check first as I don't do shared accomodation I want to be in my own detached accomodation.

Airbnb seem much more friendly on the service charge they charge their hosts when compared to booking.com for instance. A good friend who has a cottage listed on airbnb removed it from booking.com as they shafted him on several occasions.

My wife is a hotel manager and the commision bill they pay is quite eye watering with booking.com, they always try and incentivise people to book direct through the website but sometimes its difficult as people just go direct to booking.com and book on the spot.

Will you only be listing on airbnb or also hosting your own website and using other third party sites?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've used it a bit... as said above, the pictures are key, if they are not attractive, folk won't read the text.

I'd mention the local courses by name and if you have any discount available, say so. I might also be inclined to offer folk a game, as most folk are ok - and if it generates a booking, how bad can it be for 18 holes? (but of course, if they are wombats your back might give out after 3 and you need to leave them to play alone! ;))

Mind you, multiple entries on trip advisor about your iffy back might make folk join the dots!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have an Airbnb place overlooking a golf course. I don't arrange anything but just put in the description details about local courses.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Only used Airbnb once. Booked a 2 bedroom appt in London. On arrival was told we could only use one bedroom, even though we were having the g’daughter stay with us for one of the nights. Was charged extra upfront for cleaning. Couldn’t get hot water for the shower - should have read the reviews, which inc the hot water issue. The list of “don’t” was extensive.

Complained through the agents… total waste of time.

Hotels only for us.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thanks guys, just the answers I was looking for. It does seem complicated to include golf in there somewhere although I know there are lots of activities arranged by Airbnb hosts for their guests. I like the ideas put forward about listing local courses and even having a set of clubs here for the spontaneous golfer (y)

Will you only be listing on airbnb or also hosting your own website and using other third party sites?

Up until you asked I thought for sure I would build a website but now I've thought about it all day I really don't see the point - not only do I have to build the site but I'd have to build a lot of functionality into it including a booking calendar, some kind of payment mechanism... and I don't need to go any further - the Airbnb site has all the tools required to book and process payments, communicate, change prices and dates, reviews, vetting etc etc and only take 3% so about £9 for a £300 booking - seems like a waste of time having a website

however..... I might built a website as a 'holding page' and if people like what they see then they can click thru to my Airbnb listings and take it from there :unsure:

Cheers guys, very constructive and helpful replies (y)(y)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've used Airbnb 4 or 5 of times now, not had a bad experience yet. Stayed in a lovely flat right on main street in St Andrews when we last went there, and an excellent cottage just outside Dornoch last year. When I'm planning travels, I know what golf I'm intending to play, so I look for Airbnb in the area. I don't worry if the host lists close to a golf course or not. All I'm looking for is somewhere that's clean, tidy, has good reviews, and fits my travel plans.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've been renting a holiday cottage out using Airbnb for the last 6 years.

I agree pictures are important, but reviews are the main thing that drive customers to you. I email every guest on the morning of departure, to check if everything was ok for them, and ask them to submit a review. Airbnb also ask them to submit one, but I think you get a better response rate when you contact them personally.

We also use VRBO (used to be HomeAway and Owners Direct before that). We do get more volume from Airbnb, but we do get a significant number of bookings from VRBO, which justifies the cost (about £300 a year).

I'd say don't bother with a website. Unless you are prepared to invest a decent sum to get it near the top of Google searches, you won't get the traffic. We tried it and ditched it after a year. If you want something of your own, then a lot of people have their own Facebook sites which are free, but again, getting the traffic is difficult.

We have business cards in the cottage, and encourage guests to take one, and to contact us direct for a better price if they want to come back. Airbnb take a big chunk in commission from the guests, so it's possible to give the guests a cheaper overall price, while getting more income from the booking that you would have thru Airbnb.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
This might be minor to others but a gripe for me is staying in places that I can’t check into until late afternoon and then I need to leave after breakfast
(I totally get that there needs to be time to facilitate cleaning etc for back-to-back bookings but where that doesn’t exist its nice to provide earlier access/later checkout)

p.s really really minor. I've not been but does 'zip world' really deserve the high billing it gets on your blurb for things to do in Snowdonia? Wouldn't have struck me as a must do attraction but I could be wrong

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
p.s really really minor. I've not been but does 'zip world' really deserve the high billing it gets on your blurb for things to do in Snowdonia? Wouldn't have struck me as a must do attraction but I could be wrong

I have changed the main intro text (y) - if I don't get bookings I'll know who to blame :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Zip world is literally just up the road and attracts a lot of visitors to the area. The caverns is an amazing experience (when it was open before Covid) for about 3hrs you climb around the high walls and tunnels of excavated slate caverns and zip line backwards and forwards underground. 100% the best thing I've done (twice) in years. Zip lining down the mountain is pretty cool too.