Do you/would you use a chipper

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In recent weeks I noticed Crossfield banging on about his chipper. Now today him and Lockey release a video where they do a fun test between a chipper and a 58.

So there's the question... Would you try it? Or have you tried it or already use one?

For me, even if it one performed better on these right style shots versus a more lofted club... I don't think I could lose a club in the bag in its place.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I used one (Callaway) for about three years, then realised I could do the same with a 6-iron and gave it to a mate who has some chronic problems. When things are really grim I found it great just to play very straightforward 10-yard chips. Definitely worth a try

D

Deleted member 1147

Not really required. Just use a 7 iron.
Just cause pros use lob wedge doesn’t mean ams should.
In fact Tiger hit a chip on 11 today with a mid to long iron.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My FiL used one for many years, he plays on a links course. He can't do short chips and it helped him out. Not for me but if it works for someone then crack on with it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've used one in the past. But 7/8 iron is just as effective, even from close range. Happy to use 'Rescue Putt' too and I have actually sunk a 'toe putt' from deep rough in a match - opponent wasn't pleased! Not possible with my current putter though!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would if it was the only thing that worked for me. But personally I don't understand how anyone who uses one can't play exactly the same shot with their 8 or 9 iron, just gripped down a tad? Similar loft probably, just take a putting grip/swing and away you go. Not much point taking a club out of the bag for it on that basis.

My mate who plays off 13, has been off 11, hits irons beautifully but can't chip to save his life. He sometimes uses a chipper, and we do take the mick out of him obviously, because it's the rules. I don't know why but he just cannot do the same thing with a short iron. You put that in his hands and suddenly he's coming in steep and duffing it. His brain just won't let him swing another club the way he swings a putter or a chipper. It's odd.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A chipper isn't the same as a 7 or 8 iron (or whichever club you'd use).

Chippers generally have a lot more weight in the sole which helps in getting the ball up and spinning, the sole is also much larger which reduces the likelihood of it digging in, if chipping is your nemesis then I think using one is perfectly acceptable.

So you have to ditch another club, but which will save you more shots, a long iron/hybrid or a chipping club that you're confident you can get the ball on the green in reasonable proximity to the hole?
Short game shots can make or break a round, I've seen lots of people using a chipper to very good effect.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
In my experience I could play a lot more shots with the Chipper and from more lies than a 7-iron. You can hit some horrific shots with it and it will still serve you well. Worth having a play with a couple of different lofts to see what will work best for you

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My aforementioned mate after a year or two of playing with a £30 no-name chipper, splashed out 100 on a Callaway or might've been Odyssey one. He hated it and went back to the cheap one after a few weeks. :LOL:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve always said I’d give up golf before using a chipper.

P.s. nice onomatopoeia that autocorrect thinks it’s chopper.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, I wouldn't use a chipper, but I wouldn't use a 58 degree wedge around the green either.

I once played with a guy who had a 70 degree wedge. He used it around the green for almost every shot, even from 4 feet off the green with a flat shot to the flag. I thought I had seen some horrific short game efforts in my golf career but I saw some new stuff that day. He was a really wealthy guy, the rest of his kit was no expense spared but he really loved this piece of [redacted]. On the 10th or 11th, one of my playing partners said to me "I am tempted to grab that club and toss it in the pond. It would be doing him a massive favour".

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My brother uses one and swears by it. I rib him mercilessly, but it's water of a ducks back. It works for him and he uses it to good effect for the most part. Personally, I use a 9 iron for similar shots and that works mostly well for me. There's a space in my bag if I wanted one, but I somehow can't bring myself to even try one......