Do you/would you use a chipper

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

I've ordered one... Will arrive tomorrow.

Last couple of rounds I've shot under 80. Let's see if I can replicate that on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 18121

My chipping is average at best and crap when it goes wrong. Even so there is no way I'd ever use a chipper

It's funny when you break it down really.... We're all for using a forgiving driver or forging irons. But a chipper? Nah thanks.

Not saying it's right or wrong, as I've never used one before but just makes me smile. ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not use and have never used one simply because I am good with my shirt clubs and like to vary the type of shot I am hitting. There was a time when I use to hit 1000+ balls a week in short game practice

I have two mates that use one and can clearly understand why they use them and would never take the mickey out of anyone using one.

One thing that I have to 'tick off' several players for is having a two sided one.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My chipper used to be a 7 iron then an 8 iron.
I holed more than my fair share of those in 45 years.
The last few years ended up with a 22 degree rescue when I was delighted to get it on the green.:rolleyes:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The worrying things about this thread is that it has reminded me that I've noticed several chippers in my local AGD and I've always walked past them disdainfully but now, reading the comments, am almost tempted to pick one up and have a play with it. Some of the green surrounds at my place can be in quite poor condition...especially during the winter, with scruffy lies, bare patches etc that sometime make good contact a bit of a lottery. Often I've found my self chipping with a hybrid...I could easily leave out the 58* wedge in the winter and carry a chipper.

Oh...look......my credit card has just ran off to hide!!! :LOL:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No. Chippers have one use and tbh I'd rather have something in my bag that is versatile. And comparing a 58 to a chipper isn't exactly fair, the loft of most chippers sits around the 8 iron mark in terms of loft and for me playing a putting stroke with an 8 iron is akin to having a chipper. But without the shame.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Your chipping is nowhere near as bad as you make out. I've seen some horror shows with a wedge in hand.

It is getting better but still sporadic. Pitching better but need to nail the chipping more. I think once I can get some confidence I'll be away. Confidence breeds confidence. I did have a chip in the other week so it is in there

Golfnut1957

Visit site
A colleague of mine, a very good footballer amongst other things, eventually got round to playing golf. As a novice he wasn't too bad at all tee to green, but his short game sucked so he got a chipper. It was a revelation, no more two and three stabs, in fact he was so successful with it that those chips became longer and longer until anything from about 70 yards was fair game.

He was never really interested in trying to develop a "proper" short game and gave golf up as too hard before the year was out.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The worrying things about this thread is that it has reminded me that I've noticed several chippers in my local AGD and I've always walked past them disdainfully but now, reading the comments, am almost tempted to pick one up and have a play with it. Some of the green surrounds at my place can be in quite poor condition...especially during the winter, with scruffy lies, bare patches etc that sometime make good contact a bit of a lottery. Often I've found my self chipping with a hybrid...I could easily leave out the 58* wedge in the winter and carry a chipper.

Oh...look......my credit card has just ran off to hide!!! :LOL:

Funny, I was in my local AG about half an hour ago. I was mooching around the putters and noticed some chippers in the corner. After I checked no one was watching, I picked one out to try. Played from about 10 foot, nice little chip about 2 foot through the air and then rolled straight in. Put straight back on the shelf with a chuckle and walked away. I’m quite happy doing the same with my 9 iron for now but maybe that will change…..

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Funny, I was in my local AG about half an hour ago. I was mooching around the putters and noticed some chippers in the corner. After I checked no one was watching, I picked one out to try. Played from about 10 foot, nice little chip about 2 foot through the air and then rolled straight in. Put straight back on the shelf with a chuckle and walked away. I’m quite happy doing the same with my 9 iron for now but maybe that will change…..

need_my_chipper :) nice ring to it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Now you've tried one you're on the slippery slope to getting one