Do you wear golf shoes at the driving range?

S

Snelly

I can't understand people that do. What's the point? The only time that you get to play from an astroturf mat is in mid-winter?

I find it quite odd when I see people at the driving range that have actually got changed to go there and are wearing golf gear! Fine if you are on you way to play but otherwise, most odd.

Usually the same people who look around to see who was looking on admiringly after they hit their one good shot from 10 attempts! :D

Still, live and let live I suppose. :D

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
:D

I do wear my shoes, mostly because they're usually in the boot and I find they help with stability and stop my feet moving around.

Wearing golf gear to the range after work is quite puzzling though!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to suffer badly from my left foot sliding on range matts, my pro actually asked why i didnt wear my golf shoes for lessons/range sessions as they would give better grip & supports on the matts than trainers do. magically the fault vanished after wearing golf shoes.

Also, If you look at a lot of trainers the soles are not level like golf shoes, for me it makes sense to practice wearing the right foot wear, as your simulating as much of your common game situation as you can,

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always wear full golfing gear to the range including shoes. Purely to replicate what I would be doing on the course. It's all in my head but as they say 'golf is a game of 6 inches - that space between the ears'

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
I only go to the range after work so I keep a shirt and the golf shoes in the car at any time. Hitting golf in a pair of Lobb would just be bizarre.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I tend to wear golf kit to work, so there's no point in changing out of it to go to the range. I don't put on the Titleist hat though. That would be daft.

I tend to wear golf shoes, as if I try to hit in leather soled shoes, I fall over.

If I happen to be wearing sneakers, or something with a rubber sole, then I'll hit in them fine.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll put my golf shoes on if i'm going to hit it off the grassy part of the range otherwise its trainers and jog bottoms. I have to say though that i'm not a fan of ranges and hate playing off astroturf

my trainers have an inch and a half of soul at the heel and my work shoes are 6" stilettos so of course I wear golf shoes at the boring range ;)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why would you not? I always wear golf gear to the range (not that I go to the range that much anymore). I like to wear the same shoes I'm gonna go on the course in. No point sticking on a pair of trainers that make you half an inch taller if you've gone to the trouble of getting the length of the clubs adjusted to your height when wearing your golf shoes? Also, your golf shoes are designed to support your feet during the unique motion of hitting a golf ball, why not use the tools made for the job.

It makes as little sense to me not wearing golf shoes as it does when people practice putting or chipping with range balls and not the ball they are actually going to play with.

If you were football training you'd wear football boots and a football kit so when when golf training, wear your golf shoes and your golf kit - makes sense to me but like you said, live and let live.

my trainers have an inch and a half of soul at the heel and my work shoes are 6" stilettos so of course I wear golf shoes at the boring range ;)

do i know you? lol

bugger, that should have said feel like 6" stillettos
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
:rolleyes:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I only change into golf shoes if I happen to have normal shoes on instead of trainers.

Having said that, maybe swinging in balance in leather soled shoes would be a good drill, similar to the feet together one?