Do you play better....

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
against better players?

Went out this morning with a guy 3 lessH/cap than me.

Played really well gross 83. but could have been better.

Apart from 2 holes 8 @ par 5 3rd, (blocked out by a tree then hit approach which rolled under a bridge, unplayable) & a 5 on short par 3, ball went through green, couldn't find it in rough, back to tee two putts.
The rest of the round I was "in the zone" no careless putts, irons spot on and kept the ball on the short stuff.

I find it hard to raise my game with regular partners.
I must find some better players to play regular with.

Do any of you find yourself doing the same or do you try too hard to impress?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I actually play better with players I'm not really competing with, vig. I end up competing against the course and scoring better in those circumstances. My "lucky white heather" playing partner plays off 21 and I rarely score worse than 78 when I'm having a good natter with him and enjoying a nice day out on a new course.

D

Deleted member 1147

In matchplay definately.

Against higher H/cap players I think I'm waiting for them to make errors instead of playing my game.

I think a bit of competition, or a target, make you push harder.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think in my case it was my concentration that was better.
It wasn't slow by any means 2hrs 50mins but I did take a measured decision with each hole and putt. Stuck to my pre shot routine and didn't get angry even when I had the unplayable under the bridge.
The only time I got a little pi55ed was when I lost the ball at the par 3. I went down a club because of the firmness in the greens, it landed short and ran right through the green which is around 15 paces across and into the long rough at the back. It must have only been 5 yds through but I could not find it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to play better in competitve situations, not necessarily against better players. I think it is just a question of concentrating better than when playing a weekly roll up with mates with nothing really on it.

nackanut

Medal Winner
Visit site
i played in my first knock out comp the other week playing matchplay. played a cracking front nine to go five up. by the 12th it was all over 7 and 6.i had to give the guy three shots. as soon as it was over we continued to play the last six holes and he won every one. my game fell apart and his became spot on. it was amazing to see how we both reacted to a release in pressure once the competative edge was gone. competative golf is always going to make you play better but i dont think the opponents handicap matters too much, i believe that you are trying to outplay yourself rather than your partner because you cant control what he does, only what you do.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My regular group play of 16, 15 and 8 with me of 27 and I tend to play better with them. When I play with my mates of a similar standard to me my game colapses. I guess it is because I feel that I am expected to be the weakest link and so feel little pressure and tend to play my best golf. Has now got to the stage that I am the person that the group want in their pairing when the balls are thrown up because even if I blow up on a hole or 2, I am always good for a couple of 4 pointers during the round.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play better when with better players for some reason, it just seems to rub off on me plus I try to copy there course management as much as possible which as many people know is one of the biggest differences between low handicappers and the rest of us.

When in a competitive situation though I tend to put more pressure on myself and as a result end up playing worse.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only used the driver 4 times all day, kept the ball in play and in all honesty I didn't try to boom it down the fairway.
Also, and I definately think it does have an impact, I used my normal ball. I have been experimenting with different ones but stuck with the pro v

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, most definitly.

When I play with my mate the pro, I find watching him play effortlessly helps me to relax and 'swing easy' which is my go to thought!

He makes the game look simple to when I watch him, the game feels simple.

Equally so when i play with a guy who used to be single figures. He has a great rhytem and It gets me going really well.

If I play with hackers, I tend to fall apart with them!

Dont know why this is!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon I play best with players who can "look after themselves" going around the course. I play with one chap who is great company but I seem to get flustered with all the extra involvement with looking for balls, trying to keep up, lots of niggles really. I like to look out for my score and get on with things; I may come across as "detached" but I'm decent company between shots/tees and am enthusiastic about good shots and great putts from my playing group.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cant help myself,have to beat anyone I play with!

On subject tho,love playing with anyone better than me.
Just to be with them,see how they go about business is an education.