Do you ever get the urge?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I haven't played for nearly 5 years but had a walk out to the Lighthouse at Turnberry today on a beautiful day for links golf.
Wee breeze, sun was up and the larks were singing.
On the new 9th hole a slim young lad of about 20 with a carry bag stepped on to the tee. Playing on his own
Wind and sun on his back and without any hesitation he smacked a 300 yard drive into the middle of the fairway.
We had a wee chat and off he went.
Said to Lady Doon that it felt like that was me and someone had turned the clock back 50 years.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Skiing.
Haven’t been for thirty years, but before that went regularly for about ten years with old Jersey friends. Would love a reunion perhaps in Sierra Nevada, which is only two hours drive from apartment near Estepona. My recent problems with heights may be a problem.

FELL75

Visit site
Play cricket again, especially bowling. Used to bowl leg spin as a 16 year old. Sure I could turn my arm over again 30 years later!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get an app called Meet Up and see if there are games around you when lockdown is over.
Not sure my ACL would like that.
My brother plays walking football he’s 66 and loves it .
I might give it a go next season.
All those young 50 somethings walking to fast put me off.;)
I was never the fastest.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure my ACL would like that.
My brother plays walking football he’s 66 and loves it .
I might give it a go next season.
All those young 50 somethings walking to fast put me off.;)
I was never the fastest.
There’s a walking football game that happens on the pitch beside my six aside game on a Wednesday and they honestly look like they’re having a great time. Whatever your age group or skill level, throw yourself in and get involved.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Play an 11 a side football game.

I had to stop early (30) when I snapped an ACL and never played again. Annoying as it was I snapped it when messing about watching a game that I wasnt playing in! I know its never going to happen but I still kick a ball around with my son (38) who now plays in a senior football team (over35's I think)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
for the first time in about 10 years i feel like donning the whites and taking to the cricket pitch. i might need a quick net session first, oh and some kit as i gave all mine away

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cricket for me. Not even a game.
just an elongated net session on a bowling machine and then against proper bowlers.
would scratch an itch I have had for a while

Whilst my batting and bowling might not be as sharp , I don't think they would be the issue ....but my god I'd be a cart horse in the field.

I'm on a WhatsApp group with all my old cricket mates and we we're talking about reforming for a 20 over match against the old club. I'm not sure we would get away with 6 slips and 3 gullys in a 20 over game. ?

D

Deleted member 18588

Whilst my batting and bowling might not be as sharp , I don't think they would be the issue ....but my god I'd be a cart horse in the field.

I'm on a WhatsApp group with all my old cricket mates and we we're talking about reforming for a 20 over match against the old club. I'm not sure we would get away with 6 slips and 3 gullys in a 20 over game. ?
That's the problem.

At age 48 I came out of cricketing retirement to play for our village club.

Main motivation was to be able to play in the same team as my sons who at 13 & 14 were then playing adult cricket.

However, second game back and went to chase a ball.BANG! sniper on pavilion roof got me , hamstring gone.

Three months later came back again, elder son had left by now for County PL club and younger one was joining another the next season so one last chance.

That bloody sniper was still on duty but he did, at least, go for the other leg.

Do you think the cricketing gods were trying to tell me something?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the problem.

At age 48 I came out of cricketing retirement to play for our village club.

Main motivation was to be able to play in the same team as my sons who at 13 & 14 were then playing adult cricket.

However, second game back and went to chase a ball.BANG! sniper on pavilion roof got me , hamstring gone.

Three months later came back again, elder son had left by now for County PL club and younger one was joining another the next season so one last chance.

That bloody sniper was still on duty but he did, at least, go for the other leg.

Do you think the cricketing gods were trying to tell me something?

Ouch!!!!!! I completely understand the desire to play with your sons. I wouldn't fancy league cricket these days. Getting sledged by some 18 year old quick knowing that I no longer have the reactions to hook well doesn't appeal.

20 over friendly on a Summers evening with cold beers though.....