Do you ever get the urge?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a nice bright sunny day I occasionally get the urge to return to the days of what some would say is a misspent youth.

The Donovan song Sunshine Superman, comes to mind.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Have a go at rally driving.

Go skiing but I think my back may have a say in that!

Phil Price Rally School.

Your encouraged to give it some and actually experience rally driving. Not like the poor experience days at tracks.
Make a week of it in wales/Shropshire. I stayed in some lodges near Knighton which were ideal for stargazing as well.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I still would love to be playing Rugby League again. When I pass rugby pitches I do wish I was out there again.
And motorcycling. We go to the MotoGP every year and seeing the bikes there really gets me itching to get out riding once more. Not on a powerful machine, or a big cruiser. Just a nice little nimble bike for going around lanes. I saw a lovely Triumph Thruxton in white at the 2020 MotoGP which I just wanted to ride away that day.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To take a small cruising boat up the west coast of Scotland...and in a month‘s time Deacon Blue’s Ship Dignity will resonate ever more loudly...as I will be able to afford one and I will have as much time as I might want.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cricket for me. Not even a game.
just an elongated net session on a bowling machine and then against proper bowlers.
would scratch an itch I have had for a while
This for me as well. I haven't played for years, have zero desire to stand in the field or get done by some donkey dropper on a dodgy wicket. I want to set the machine to feed me off side half volleys and just get the feel of ball on the middle of the bat.

I'll happily walk away after that.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another one that has an urge to play one more game of rugby. I think it is because I quit due to injury that I still feel it, because I did not leave on my own terms, have a bit of a celebration after my last game etc.

Other one is to learn a musical instrument. Bought a guitar on my 30th Birthday and is has sat in the corner for 18 years. Keep meaning to try but lose the motivation to take up something that takes such commitment.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another one that has an urge to play one more game of rugby. I think it is because I quit due to injury that I still feel it, because I did not leave on my own terms, have a bit of a celebration after my last game etc.

Other one is to learn a musical instrument. Bought a guitar on my 30th Birthday and is has sat in the corner for 18 years. Keep meaning to try but lose the motivation to take up something that takes such commitment.
Same for me with the footy early finish due to injury.
But did learn the guitar, ( imo anyway) nothing better than sitting in the sun of an evening in summer just having a strum.
You tube just give it a go G A D chords is all you need play thousands of songs with just them.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
To take a small cruising boat up the west coast of Scotland...and in a month‘s time Deacon Blue’s Ship Dignity will resonate ever more loudly...as I will be able to afford one and I will have as much time as I might want.

Then do it, ? or you'll only regret. Not a sailor myself, but had a mate who was. Mind you, he did say owning a boat was like chucking money into a hole!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
100%. Drive to the arse end of nowhere to stand in a field for 45/50 overs, get a bat and receive a Jaffa first up or one that keeps low. Sit down and watch everyone else before driving home again. And pay £20 for the privilege. Been there, done that!

The worst one ever for me, living in Herts we were playing at Canterbury in Kent. Round the M25, sat at the Dartford tunnel for ages get there at 10.30 am for an 11am start and rush out to toss up. Tails never fails, well have a bat please :). 11.01 First nut smash one into my pads and sent on my way lbw by the home umpire. A 4 hr wait to field for 4 hrs then back on the M25 home lol. Why did we do it haha

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
100%. Drive to the arse end of nowhere to stand in a field for 45/50 overs, get a bat and receive a Jaffa first up or one that keeps low. Sit down and watch everyone else before driving home again. And pay £20 for the privilege. Been there, done that!
It's one of the reasons I really enjoy golf. Whatever shot you hit on the 1st tee you get to hit a 2nd shot and a 3rd etc. No dodgy umpire decision to ruin your day either. I loved my cricket but I fell out of love by the time I packed in.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The worst one ever for me, living in Herts we were playing at Canterbury in Kent. Round the M25, sat at the Dartford tunnel for ages get there at 10.30 am for an 11am start and rush out to toss up. Tails never fails, well have a bat please :). 11.01 First nut smash one into my pads and sent on my way lbw by the home umpire. A 4 hr wait to field for 4 hrs then back on the M25 home lol. Why did we do it haha
Similar..
Graduating from village leagues, the next step involved much bigger distances.
Plus the knees complained...

I get the urge to restart bass playing...
Got quite good but drifted away from it due to time constraints and other commitments
But I know I won't be able to give it the time it needs
So I shall resist.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that there is a bit of a thespian in me so I’m going to give it a go. Back in the day I had a couple of insignificant bit parts in a couple of church YF pantos and really enjoyed being on stage...doing a bit of acting. But never got the opportunity for a big part...partly as I was considered a swatty, specky geek - never mind not being part of the local ‘Broom’ set...those who know the Mearms area of south Glasgow will get that. But today...yeh..haud me back...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's one of the reasons I really enjoy golf. Whatever shot you hit on the 1st tee you get to hit a 2nd shot and a 3rd etc. No dodgy umpire decision to ruin your day either. I loved my cricket but I fell out of love by the time I packed in.
Good job your not Patrick Reed he’s had a few decisions pondered over.:(
That’s the good thing about golf all the good ones are down to skill.
All the bad ones forgotten about

sunshine

Visit site

Totally agree.

The other significant issue with cricket in England is that I remember spending a significant part of the summer sitting in the pavilion watching it rain. With golf you just pop on a waterproof top and crack on.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With lockdown getting eased was wondering weather to go back to playing 5-a-side again.

2 years ago had a back injury that seen me on a walking stick for a few months due to discs pushing into my nerve canal, but wasnt sure if it was because of a bad tackle in footy or starting yoga. i did my ankle in last January so havent been back since, and was happy with taking up table tennis again. You cant beat catching a volley right and putting it in the top corner, though.

Walking the full length of Hadrian's wall, we've bought a book, watched Robson Green....halfway there to doing it now, surely.:D

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd love to be able to have a game of 7 a side again. But my knees won't have it (and my overall fitness is probably questionable at best).

I went from playing 11 games a week, varied between 5s, 7s and 11s plus training twice a week, then injury struck and that decreased steadily over the years until I wasn't playing at all.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd love to be able to have a game of 7 a side again. But my knees won't have it (and my overall fitness is probably questionable at best).

I went from playing 11 games a week, varied between 5s, 7s and 11s plus training twice a week, then injury struck and that decreased steadily over the years until I wasn't playing at all.
11 games a week ?
No wonder your knees knackered.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think that there is a bit of a thespian in me so I’m going to give it a go. Back in the day I had a couple of insignificant bit parts in a couple of church YF pantos and really enjoyed being on stage...doing a bit of acting. But never got the opportunity for a big part...partly as I was considered a swatty, specky geek - never mind not being part of the local ‘Broom’ set...those who know the Mearms area of south Glasgow will get that. But today...yeh..haud me back...

My last [and only] performance was in the early 90's as Rab C Nesbit in a male strip act known as the Chippenputts joining three colleagues who were a builder, an Ossie rugby league player and a padded up lycra wearing fitness instructor.
It was a end of show one night only performance at a charity doo for my wife's Breast Cancer challenge
I still have flashbacks and have to go for a lie down whenever I hear Phil Collins 'I Can't Dance'.
We brought the packed clubhouse down when I revealed what was under my kilt.:eek: