Do you clean your golf gear?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Occasionally, maybe once a month when I have a bit of time after the round. Or before I go on a golf holiday, in those cases I take the clubs home with me (normally they stay at the club) and take some time with a bucket of warm water and a brush to thoroughly scrub them clean. I am always surprised about the little details that come to light that way ... that the bottom groove is actually white on all my irons for example :sneaky:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Clubs get done every couple of rounds but they bag a wipe after every shot so they're never horrendous
Shoes...well I try to walk through some damp rough towards the end of the round and then use the air hose.
Unless I'm playing with our esteemed Editor, Mr H.
Don't ever play with him unless you have highly polished and pristinely clean shoes...
He WILL kill you!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Clubs done after every shot and the full set cleaned properly with soapy water when I get home (even if I've only been to the range) You just cant leave stuff dirty/damp in this humidity, it'll eat right through most things

Shoes done after every round & cap into the washing machine after every wear too. Was at the range this morning for one hour, every stitch needs to go into the machine except the belt

Edit: isn't it weird how clubs will let you join if you wear a jacket & tie to an interview but won't kick you out for having manky shoes, sweat stained cap or filthy clubs/bag!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mine get a clean once a month or occasionally if they get soaked when playing. Focus is on grips and the heads get a wipe over with WD40 after cleaning the grooves.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A couple of things that may be urban myths, but may not...

Washing up liquid is very salty (so it foams in hard water areas), so maybe use with caution.
Use gun oil, rather than wd40, it's specificaly designed for the purpose you require.

As I keep my clubs at the club, they get cleaned as I go round. Only properly done prior to some sort of awayday.
Have a winter and summer set of ECCOs, so I do make sure they get looked after to protect my investment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Washing up liquid is very salty (so it foams in hard water areas), so maybe use with caution.
Use gun oil, rather than wd40, it's specificaly designed for the purpose you require.

As I keep my clubs at the club, they get cleaned as I go round. Only properly done prior to some sort of awayday.
Have a winter and summer set of ECCOs, so I do make sure they get looked after to protect my investment.
Some people use coca-cola I've heard!

Robin Hood

Visit site
I'm not a routine club cleaner.
Mud/sand is wiped off after a shot; however the clubs are cleaned before a match or medal. I use warm soapy water.
I do keep shoes clean, my black ones especially.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Club head wiped after every shot. Clubs cleaned night before a comp or society outing. Usually don't scrub the grips but maybe I should. Shoes are cleaned if they are muddy

What soap do people use? I normally use Fairy liquid but is there anything else? Thought about using the stuff I use on my bike (Muc Off) as it's OK to use on carbon frames.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I pretty much clean my clubs after every round, especially in the winter...and I give them a wipe after each shot too....

My wife usually leaves her clubs and shoes in the utility room for me to clean after she has played too...

I recently said "How often do you clean your own golf stuff??"

She replied "more often than you clean the loos / ironing / dusting etc etc!!" That told me!

My brother in law never cleans his clubs, one day he'll play a shot and the ball will stick to the clubface!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do my grips maybe twice a year. the clubs themselves get completely soaked in the rain fen enough where I just take them all out and leave to dry off.

Got a new pair of shoes which I am looking after with baby wipes. probably won't last but they do look well atm.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Washing up liquid does include a salt, but not enough to affect golf clubs

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I keep my clubs in my office so like to keep them sparking. Clean the heads after every round with some Meguairs car shampoo I have after every round or practice sessions.

Grips get cleaned every 2-3 weeks with the same stuff.

Putter gets shotgun oiled post round to keep rust at bay on the raw head.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only give them a wipe when putting them back in the bag, don't get/give myself the chance to give them a proper clean as they go straight back in locker after the round.