Do you bother with a 60 degree wedge?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
60, no, 58 yes, but that's consigned to the redundant clubs now, unless I play links courses or Woodhall Spa. I only use 50 and 56 - primarily for bunkers, my 50 can do everything I want it to do including flop shots.

I think that anything over 56* should be banned and agree with what someone said earlier about Seve. It's learning how to play the shots, manipulate the face, hands and swing, but that is down to practise.

D

Deleted member 15344

60, no, 58 yes, but that's consigned to the redundant clubs now, unless I play links courses or Woodhall Spa. I only use 50 and 56 - primarily for bunkers, my 50 can do everything I want it to do including flop shots.

I think that anything over 56* should be banned and agree with what someone said earlier about Seve. It's learning how to play the shots, manipulate the face, hands and swing, but that is down to practise.

You can also do that using a 58/60 and add more shots into someone’s locker

Seve is one player - Mickelson uses wedges over 60 and he has practiced with them manipulating the club etc

Why not ban clubs over 46 and use that club ?

The game we play is varied for all sorts of levels of players - why would anyone want a club banned because it might help someone play a shot

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I suppose your right, why would anyone go and learn how to play certain types of shots from a Pro using lesser degrees and practise them shots on the practise ground, which would in fact be adding more shots into someone's locker instead of getting a standard 58/60* lob to do the job.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seve could practice every day.

If a few extra degrees makes it easier for someone to flip it over a bunker or even escape a bunker then why not put one in the bag.

Ive managed to fit one in the bag and have all my distances covered.

Lob wedges are in the majority of tour players bags. They are weapons if you put the time in and learn how to use it.

Opening up 54s and 56 narrows the margin for error when playing difficult lob shots.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yeah I suppose your right, why would anyone go and learn how to play certain types of shots from a Pro using lesser degrees and practise them shots on the practise ground, which would in fact be adding more shots into someone's locker instead of getting a standard 58/60* lob to do the job.

By that token, should we also stop anyone needing anything longer than a 5 iron as we could just close the face...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

:rofl:
I've seen some bold opinions on this forum but that one is right up there! :D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As they said to gene,

Why bother with that sand wedge you've got when i can manipulate this wedgermabobber.

It works better.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But you could manipulate the face on a 4 iron and do away with all the clubs in your bag if you wanted 
Yes seen the four iron challenge at the open out of a bunker.

This none sense about Seve playing everything with one club !
He had 14 clubs like everyone else as soon as he could afford them, why make it harder for yourself.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a really useful skill to learn, especially when you get 80-100yds and under

Agree with this. I try to limit my wedges to a 10 - 2 (clock face swing). I may go a touch harder into the wind, but that's my general approach. These are finesse clubs, so whacking the hell out of them (for me) rarely ends up with a successful outcome.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yes seen the four iron challenge at the open out of a bunker.

This none sense about Seve playing everything with one club !
He had 14 clubs like everyone else as soon as he could afford them, why make it harder for yourself.

But he generally only had 12 in the bag and never anything more lofted than 55 degrees.